+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Oregon Info

Default Need Oregon Info

I will be in Portland the week of 8/12-19 and am looking to do some fly fishing. Any info on places, wt of rod, flies, etc would be appreciated. I am looking for areas within 2 hrs. from Portland for trout or steelhead or what ever is running at this time. I need areas where I can drive and walk to the river.

there are several places north of portland that you can fish that are within 2 hrs away. you can either fallow I-5 from portland, through vancouver, past woodland, and into kalama, the kalama river has nice steelhead in it right now, and is also a good place for trout flies. i use a 5 wt. with some nice streamers, like muddlers, and double bunnies.

I will answer the question respecting the parameter of a "2 hour drive." You can do a nice drive to the Deschutes. Perhaps drive out Hwy 26 by Mt Hood, and then decide whether to cut off and got to Maupin, or proceed onward to the Warm Springs/Madras area. "Mecca Flates" is a popular area there. There is a scenic drive in to "The Junction" between Madras and Maupin. I guess that Caddis will be about petered out by then, but don't know for sure b/c I have not been on the river this year. It has a healthy trout population and good steelhead runs.

I typically fished 6 wt with a nymph and 5 with a dry fly, no big secret there. Standard nymphs (HE, PT, Prince, Zug, stone) with split shot to get them down will work, as well as other old standards such as wooly buggers, terrestrials, streamers, attractors, etc.

Check out Kaufmann Streamborn in Tigard to find out exactly what is going on. Alternatively, there is The Fly Box with a shop in Madras and a big one in Bend.

Personally, I think the hiking is better (more scenic palces) in Washington and the flyfishing for trout is better in Oregon. Not everyone will agree.

As another personal commentary, if I were out in August, I might not limit myself with a 2 hour drive. I might make the drive down to Chiloquin for the Williamson, perhaps fishing on a trip with The Fly Bx out of Bend. The Williamson has 3 seasons-August and October-and the big fish run out of Klamath lake up the river. The hexagenia dry action is something to experience in your lifetime. You'd need to talk to folks out there to find out about water conditions, temps, etc. to learn whether the run will be on then.

At more than 2 hours drivetime, there is a lot in Oregon-upper forks of Willamette, Rogue, Umpqua, Metolious, etc.

Since it hasn't been mentioned...

You can drive up the Columbia River Gorge [beautiful] on interstate 80 to the mouth of the Deschutes...park there and hike up a ways and target steelhead...could be crowded and I haven't paid any attention to the fish counts to date.

Here's a shop in Welches which is on the way...

http://www.flyfishusa.com/

And here is a shop in Warm Springs and they are in Bend too....they have current Deschutes info posted....

http://www.theriffleflyshop.com/

You might also try some of the coastal streams (Nestucca, Trask, Wilson, Three Rivers). I'd bring a 5wt rod (probably 7-8ft). And I prefer dries, so I may be the wrong person to ask about best fly selection, but I usually have good luck with stimuator type flies (yellow humpy, royal wulff, etc.). I'd also bring a good selection of "standard" dries (BWO, PMD's, Midge patterns), since this late in the season, the fish may be a little more picky.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

2 hours can get you to a lot of places, but remember, your new to the area and will have to pay attention to your road map and road signs. If your alone, a nice trip is up the Clackamas River to the Collowash fork of the same river. You can get to the river very easy and you should have good luck with your 5 wt. Lots of nice scenary along the way and a nice road.
    check out this site, the Clackamas is on it.

www.oregonriver.com/map_gallery.htm

You will notice when you click on the Clackamas River map, the Collowash is at the bottom of the map.

This is a nice site as the other rivers mentioned on are here too. This was origionally designed for rafters, hence all the rapid's info.

+ Reply to Thread