+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who has a Herters Model 11R vise?

Default Who has a Herters Model 11R vise?

I am interested in hearing from anyone else that owns a Herters Model 11R vise. Cheers, Alec

I have a Herter's vice
    Next time I get home (doesn't happen often lately)
    I'll check the model number
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudley - You'd know i if it's the 11 R; it was Herter's rotary vise - very large "true" rotary design. Cheers, Alec

Default Model 11R Herters Vise

Hi,

I have a model 11R rotating vise. It is made most out of cast iron and is heavy, heavy. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Fly Tackle,

I never owned the Herter's Model 11R. In 1959, it was out of my price range at a whopping $13.95. Its twenty pound shipping weight added another $2.66 to the purchase price. I used the Herters Model 9 vise (Thompson knock-off) which was only $4.00 at that time. It was officially endorsed by Rueben Cross though I don't know if Rueben was aware that he was endorsing it or not. I tied with that vise for nine or ten years until I inherited my grandfather's Universal Rotary vise. I also picked up a Herter's model 4 with the locking knob on the end----another very good vise at $3.30. 8T

You should see the Herter's #6 vise. Talk about heavy! Gold painted cast metal frame with a 4 pocket free turning material and hook holder that sits on a pin on the top of the c-clamp under the jaws. Pretty but huge! Jaws are machined...big as my thumb. Like new... Two years ago I saw one at a antique tackle dealers booth at a show with a $175 price tag on it.
    Also have the odd looking #9.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Mantis,

The Herter's Model 6 Vise was described as a heavy duty vise which was "so popular before World War II." The four compartment bottle/hook/material tray was optional. In 1959, the vise sold for $4.50 without the tray or $5.00 with the tray. Shipping weight was FIVE pounds. Old George Herter built those things to last. 8T

Default 4 iron containers

Yes, my 11R has the four hook containers with it as well. I though those containers looked familiar so I call a gun enthusiast friend and he told me they also came with a gun reloading kit Herters sold. George was pretty smart guy to find more than one use for a product. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

I've searched high and low for my old four-whatever base and the Herter's vise. My first vise and I loved it. Somewhere. jgw

If anyones interested there is one going for $30.00 on eBay with no bids. Auctions almost over:

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotating-Fly-Tying-Vise-Herters-No-11R_W0QQitemZ220013906363QQihZ012QQcategoryZ44916Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem:26d22]Herters No. 11R[/url:26d22]

+ Reply to Thread