+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reducing Rod Breakage and Landing Big Ones Articles

Default Reducing Rod Breakage and Landing Big Ones Articles

I was reading the two pieces by JC and Ladyfisher and has a question on a passage in each on the same subject.

In the "Reducing Rod Breakage" one paragrph stated that "One aside that I need to mention is that the tendency for most anglers is to move the fish by sweeping the rod upwards. Yet quite often, the easiest way to move the fish is to apply pressure from the side (Photo . For whatever reason, fish tend to resist the urge to be pulled upwards, but do not resist nearly as much to being pulled to the side. Try it some time and see for yourself."

In the "Landing Big Ones," JC stated that "If the fish is deep into your backing, switching your rod from the left to the right side to really irritate the fish is dumb. All it does is annoy the guide if you have one, if not it makes you simply look silly. No, I do not care if you saw some jerk on T.V. doing it. If the fish is in very close that might be another situation."

Is there a contradition between the two statements in fighting large fish? I am a fairly newbie and would hope Ldayfisher and JC help me understand the methods better.

Many thanks in advance.

Jack

Start with a fish out a way, neither side to side or sweeping the rod up will do anything of value. As the fish comes closer in, the 'up' motion is counterproductive. Pulling to one side may to try and stear the fish to where it can be landed is fine, but even then, get behind the fish if possible as stated in JC's article.

Just for your information, the article in my column this week is not by me, but by Tom Kirkman one of the countries real experts on rod building.

Hope this helps, if not try asking it again?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

The purpose of moving the rod from side to side is to change the angle that you are pulling against the fish . By changing the angle to pull towards the tail, you can often get a fish off balanced and confused and easier to get a gaff into it or a net around it. But you need to be fairly close (see JC's 'very close' comment) and this technique is used on fish that have already made their big runs - it is and endgame ploy. This technique tends to work best in the ocean or on still waters, but sometimes may come into play on rivers.

If you have a lot of line out, moving the rod from side to side changes the angle very little and thus accomplishes nothing other than wearing yourself out.

Fresh fish tend to want to run directly away from pressure. If you are in moving water and can get downstream from a fish, the fish may tend to face into the current, thus fighting the pressure you exert by pulling and the current. As the fish tires the current will bring it toward you and you can land it. If you are upstream, you have to pull against the current.

Thanks for the clarification, Ladyfisher and Tailingloop. I missed the "close" part of JC's statement.

I did realize that the "Reducing Rod Breakage" was written by Mr. Kirkman.

Good Fishin'

Jack

Something to keep in mind, when I was learning tennis many years ago, a very good coach told me not to go for winners (winning shots) but to 'just get the ball back' - usually the other player would lose the game on his own.

Just stay connected to the fish! Don't try and do the gonzo tv stuff, keep steady pressure without horsing the fish in. It works.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

"usually the other player would lose the game on his own"
    great advice LF

As with everything else, the KISS principle applies to fishing too .... just keep a tight line to the fish.

When fishin' goes to "Hollywood", stupid things get done to generate hoopla. Newbies like me wouldn't know any better and imitate. Monkey see, monkey do. No wonder the old timers are shaking their heads.

Thanks for the truth!

Here's another viewpoint I got from my more wise and experienced partner in a recent one-fly tourney. I was doing the river fencing bit and changing the direction of pull to try to disorient the fish. My partner pointed out that every time I did that the hook was "wallering out" a bigger hole and making it easier for the fish to get the hook out. This made perfect sense to me!

I suppose this might not matter on a fish caught on a bigger hook or with an especially rubbery mouth. However with my size 16 soft-hackle on 14" rainbows, holding the rod more still seemed to cause fewer fish to get off.

Thanks to Judd from Monroe, LA for clueing me into this!

+ Reply to Thread