I was reading the two pieces by JC and Ladyfisher and has a question on a passage in each on the same subject.

In the "Reducing Rod Breakage" one paragrph stated that "One aside that I need to mention is that the tendency for most anglers is to move the fish by sweeping the rod upwards. Yet quite often, the easiest way to move the fish is to apply pressure from the side (Photo . For whatever reason, fish tend to resist the urge to be pulled upwards, but do not resist nearly as much to being pulled to the side. Try it some time and see for yourself."

In the "Landing Big Ones," JC stated that "If the fish is deep into your backing, switching your rod from the left to the right side to really irritate the fish is dumb. All it does is annoy the guide if you have one, if not it makes you simply look silly. No, I do not care if you saw some jerk on T.V. doing it. If the fish is in very close that might be another situation."

Is there a contradition between the two statements in fighting large fish? I am a fairly newbie and would hope Ldayfisher and JC help me understand the methods better.

Many thanks in advance.

Jack