+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just thought i would let you guys/gals know

Default just thought i would let you guys/gals know

i went on a really fun fishing trip yesterday, caught some nice 12 inch trout, and at one point in time, i was using a yellow rabbit strip matuka, and had a 25+ inch bull trout go for my fly, just barrly missed him, plus alot of 20 inch trout fallowing my fly. i was fishing the north fork of the lewis river, next to mt. st. helens in washington state. some of you might know where that is, and if you live close to it, take a trip it is so beautiful up there. lots of fun

Hi Fishy Guts,

Sounds like a great time! Rabbit Matuka's are very popular here in New Zealand (where the matuka style of fly was developed). They are often just named after the body colour, so "Yellow Rabbit", means a yellow body (wool, or cheneil) with a rabbit strip tied in along the top with the silver rib. A small red tag of a tail and possibly some throat hackle are common additions. Most of the time natural rabbit strips are used, though the "black rabbit" (usually a night fly) uses black rabbit pelt.

Red rabbits are another popular night fly. Olive, lime green, orange, or white rabbits all have their supporters. Once the pelt is fully soaked, they produce excellent motion in the water.

Feather winged matuka's are also very popular. A yellow body, silver rib, and red tail, with a brown wing and brown front hackle (like you see on a wet fly) is a Parson's Glory. This is a very popular feather wing matuka style fly here. Another is a silver bodied, silver rib, with grey feathers (on top and for the front hackle) This is called a "grey ghost" here, not to be confused with the American streamer of the same name. For small sized versions, many people just leave the front hackle off, or tie in a "throat" instead.

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure there are tying tips and instructions for feather matuka's here on FAOL.

Anyway, I see you've mentioned matuka's a few times, and they are a great style. I'm sure you will have a lot of success with them. Sounds like you are already cleaning up.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Fishy Guts,

Fished Yellowjacket creek on saturday, not far from where you were at. We did pretty good with stone fly adults, but the bite went south after 4PM. Broke out the muddler minnows and started to catch fish again on our way back down river. There are so many little creeks and rivers in that part of Washington to choose from. Best part of the day was that we did not run into another angler. Nice to hear other rivers in the area have been producing as well.

My partner raised, hooked, and nearly landed the best trout of the day on the 6th cast of the morning. Got our hopes up for the day, but it took another hour of fishing to get the next fish. Bummer, as the biggest we landed after that fish was a mere 14". Oh well, it is nice to know there are bigger ones in there.

Have fun, Jeff

FishyGuts - Great to hear about your escapade up the Lewis. Do you start at Woodland or come in from above. Merrill lake is on the way up to Merwin Dam, that is where I learned to sail years ago on a Hobby 16. Merrill Lake is fly fishing only, you might give it a try. Beautiful country up there. I see you can use a motor if you don't fish. Better not even have a rod in the boat I suppose?

Keep the fish stories coming.

Stop in at the Cougar Store. That place is cool in a 1970s sort of way.

And yes, Merrill Lake is a recommendation. Short hike in, fly fishing only, lots of spunky trout.

Marty

last time i was out on merrill, both my legs cramped up, and i was stuck out in the middle for at least an hour, until my friend got over by me and stretched my legs out. if i was alone i would have been out there way longer. but i have never had luck out there, but im going to try it again soon. when i was fishing the north fork, i was fishing betwin eagle cliff bridge, and the muddy river. above swift resovore

+ Reply to Thread