+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly tiers Benchside Reference

Default Fly tiers Benchside Reference

Been thinking of purchasing this book, lots of info, yet a bit on the pricey side ($100). I have come across some older editions at discounted prices (e-bay). I'm just curious, does the new/latest edition contain some information that an older version does not have? I am always looking for some new material to tie with and I fear that an older edition might not have tips the new edition would.

Saltamontes

Sal,

I don't have the book and have never seen it. However, I have seen it listed as low as $60. I believe there has only been one edition published.

Allan

Sal,

I have the book, and found it to be an excellent resource regarding techniques. The current best price seems to be from Overstock.com which is selling it for $61.25.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi ... _ID=149666

Default Benchside Reference

Saltamontes,

Even at $100, it is worth every penny. It is an excellent reference you'll go back to time and time again. I think there is only one edition.

Even when not tying, I find myself going through the pages almost weekly. It even comes in a DVD version.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default BenchSide Reference

FlyFishing and Tying Journal was offering the Benchside Reference along with a 10 yr. subscripiton for $180, a heck of a deal.

I found an inexpensive copy and bought it. I was overwhelmed by the amount of information, much of which I knew I would never use. Someone else owns the book now. Perhaps you could view a copy somewhere before you buy it. It is a wonderful book with every technique imaginable nicely photographed. It was just to much for my.

I think the Benchside Reference is the best fly tying book I own.

Well worth $100, and I bet you can do a lot better than that if you search around. It has more useable knowledge than all of my other books combined. You won't regret owning it.

I second the Fly Fishing and Tying Journal deal. That's how I got my copy. I liked it so much that I also got the CD version off of EBAY.

Hi Salt. The book is a great reference, I have seen it, want it, and finally finagled the funds to buy one. If you need a technique it will be there! Check Amazon, the last time I looked the book was in the low 60's but you got free shipping because it was over 50, so not a bad deal. You might not think you need it, but as your skills and tying abilities grow it will come in handy.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Does this book come with the "spiral bound" thing? (you know, the coil thing that holds it together)?

+ Reply to Thread