A recent edition of Florida Sportsman magazine has an article on just this very topic. I'm pretty sure I've already given that issue away as I recently unloaded my accumulated back issues.

As I can recall it suggested both weighted fly's and sinking lines from a boat. I do not recall it suggesting that they can be caught while wading. They tend to stay a bit further out than is preferred for us land bound anglers.

As far as fly types I can tell you from experience with conventional tackle that they will hit just about anything they can get their little mouths around when they are feeding although it's true that sand fleas are preferred when using natural bait. Chartreuse seemed to work best among all the other colors that I also had success with.

In fact, given the "one fly" scenario I would go with the unsexy, but highly productive chartreuse/white Clouser Minnow.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - If you do have access to a boat then this little fish behavior tip might come in handy.

For some unknown reason when a boat cruises over a school of pomp's they will start leaping out of the water in the wake left behind. Search near shore for these feisty fish.

Good luck.