Well, I think I might be well prepared to reply here-I have both!! My SST has been around the block over the last ten years(to say the least) and this was the season I settled on to get a new one...I was dismayed to find that the SST was not being offered in the "classic" style any longer and was sorta leery of the 2.5 ply layering of the DWading. I decided to go for the DWading anyway knowing the open return policy that Patagonia offers...Its been about a month and I am not sorry. It is a indeed a great jacket. Maybe not as sturdy(read: heavy) as my SST(3ply vs 2.5ply), but the light weight and packability more then compensate(I always felt that my SST didn't store in my vest well). It is also about 3.5" shorter then the SST and sits at about the same "waist" as my vest...much nicer...not as practical for around town, but thats not why I got it. It is cut big(I bought the XL) so can fit easily over my vest and the hood is perfect. The breathable layer fabric is the same in both jackets. A great value considering what I paid for my SST

------------------
"The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

[This message has been edited by DARKSTAR (edited 27 April 2005).]