I started fly fishing in 1995, at the age of 46. Discovered FAOL, October of 1997, and my learning began (no local mentor to be found or trusted).
Went to my 1st FAOL Fish-In, in 1999. Spent the whole winter before hand tying every fly, that was mentioned for hatches in the Black Hills, for the period before...during ...and after, when the Fish-In was going to be held. I even printed out Al Campbell's Beginners Fly Tying Series, as each new lesson, initially ran on FAOL (and tied those pattern also). Printed it as two sided, and at the South Dakota Fish-In, Al signed my binder (Minnesotan for 3-hole document holder). I must have gone to the Fish-In with over 500 flies. Only one that seem to work, was Al's SWHAPF.

Took some fly casting lessons, from Shirley at the Fly Fishing Cabin. Practiced my casting every day on the the front lawn of work, during breaks & lunch (so I would not look like an idiot).

At the Fish-In, I caught my first trout, spent 3 days with Al Campbell, riding up and down the hillsides, going between streams. I learned so much from Al in those 3 days. Met so many new friends, had such a great time.

I have been to FAOL Fish-In's in South Dakota, Texas, New York/ Pennsylvania (Delaware River), and Idaho. Each Fish-In, has been different one has been great! Wish I could be at the Michigan Fish-In, but other thing prevent my attending.

~Parnelli