+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabela's Traditional rods

Default Cabela's Traditional rods

I generally recommend that folks test cast a rod before purchase and that is the route that I usually take. However ...

... I am interested in comments on the Cabelas's Traditional fly rods in general and the 8' 4pc specifically. I am looking for information on quality of assembly and general performance characteristics.

I am not particularly interested in other rods in this particular case.

I have a Cabelas gift certificate with which I will purchase a number of items, including a couple of rods that are already well known to me. I have about $70 left to work with. Hence the limitation to Cabelas product. The 4pc 4wt packs down smaller than the Three Forks 3wt.

This rod would be an extra backup to other 3wt and 4wt rods (Sage LL, Sage VPS Light, Sage DS, older Powell, St. Croix) that I posses. It is not critical to me to determine whether the rod is perfect. Its not unusual for me to loan out several rods so I have more than my wife and I personally need. It could be a gift also. I may purchase something else entirely.

But I am curious and welcome comments.

I have never cast that particular rod series but I will say I have never cast a Cabela's house brand rod I didn't like.

I have built and cast the Cabelas Stowaway rods in several line wt's and I really like them. I origonally bought the first rod as an inexpensive back up for the boat, but now I find it's my favorite rod. The 3wt and 5wt cast exceptionaly well. These are 5 piece travel rods (very easy to store) and start at under $100.00. If your a rod builder look into the blanks, only $30.00!

The rod hardware is not as fancy as my Winstons, but the action is fantastic.

Perhaps a complete combo, blister wrapped. Put it away, The day will come when it will be needed.

tailingloop, I have a cabelas traditional rod. It is an 9ft 8wt that I have used for bass and salt water fishing. The rod is very well made and it casts very well for the price. I had limited funds and wanted a rod for salt water is my reason for buying the rod. It is not a bad rod IMHO.

A Cabela's gift certificate. Sounds like you have a good stock of rods already. How about a couple of dozen of those Cabela's chocolate bars and with whats left treat yourself to a new flyline you may have been wanting but avoiding the cash outlay?

+ Reply to Thread