+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passing Of An American Fly Rod Manufacturing Icon....

Default Passing Of An American Fly Rod Manufacturing Icon....

I'm sorry if this has been posted prior: It is outdated as news goes; yet I just learned of the passing of J.K. Fisher III .

May 7th, 2006
    J. Kennedy Fisher Dies
    Joseph Kennedy Fisher III, proprietor of fly rod manufacturer J. Kennedy Fisher, Inc., died on May 7 at the age of 76. Fisher's company made the blanks used by R. L. Winston in its early fiberglass fly rods and later became known for the quality of their graphite rod tapers, which in the 1980s became a favorite of rod builders.

Obits

Joseph Kennedy Fisher III

Joseph Kennedy Fisher III
    A celebration of life will be held at 11:30 a.m. May 21at Pioneer Park, 387 E. Washington St., Sequim, for Sequim resident Joseph Kennedy Fisher III, who died May 7, 2006, at the age of 76. He was born Oct. 1, 1929, in Santa Monica, Calif., to Alice Arleene and Joseph Kennedy Fisher Jr. He married JoAnn Strange on Oct. 7, 1951, in Kelso. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in business at Oregon State College in 1951. He served in the Coast Guard from February 1952 to February 1954. He served as an ensign in Alameda, Calif. He was a manufacturer of fly fishing rods in Santa Monica, Calif., Lake Tahoe, Nev., and Sequim. Before he had several strokes, he enjoyed volunteering at Greywolf Elementary School and at Railroad Bridge Park. He was a member of Sequim Church of Religious Science. He is survived by his wife, JoAnn Fisher of Sequim; son and daughter-in-law Pamela and Joseph K Ken Fisher IV of Port Angeles; daughters Nancy Kay and Aaron Michael Schein of Las Vegas, Nev.; and Susan Lynn and John Paul Richerts; brother and sister-in-law Walter James and Mary Fisher of Concord, Calif.; sister and brother-in-law Jean Suzanna and Richard Bendel of Citrus Heights, Calif.; and six grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to Hospice of Clallam County, P.O. Box 2014, Port Angeles, WA 98362. Olympic Cremation in Port Angeles was in charge of arrangements.

I too am sorry to hear of his passing. I have read great things about his past and his rod blanks. I did not know he spent a lot of time in Sequim (pronounced SKUEM) you probably know that is were John Wayne kept his converted mine sweeter the Grey Goose. Sequim is alto touted as the banana belt of Washington state. They don't get the usual rain fall that the Olympics and the rest of Western Washington gets. Also, the 2nd largest marinia on west coast is located there. It is of course named the John Wayne marina. I think Long Beach, Ca has the largest. I always loved going through Sequim on my way to Port Angeles to take the ferry over to Vancourver Island. Thanks for the posting, I learn quite a bit here on FAOL>

Jonezee,
    Interesting background info! Did not know most of that!

Mr. Fisher was an interesting man. Our paths had crossed in the 80's. Since I am in the composite industry, we met at his factory in Mound House, Nevada on government business. His factory was split: Fly Rods on one side and Precision Tubular Components for Aerospace, which we used for Spacecraft, on the other.

It was facinating to watch them make fly rods. Especially the guide wrapping and finishing operations, which were completed by Northern Paiute Indian Artisans. No wonder those wraps looked so perfect!

JK III"s Son Ken carries on the family tradition and makes tubing for all sorts of applications discluding Fly Rods. He does supply Poles to the manufacturers of Flats Boat Push Poles, and aircraft parts.

I am the proud owner of two J.Kennedy Fisher Fly Rods. One, a 9Wt, was my first fly rod, and the second JKF is the latest Fly-Rod aquisition which was purchased-right here on the FAOL "Things For Sale" section.

Rich

There you go, I have not heard about the interesting background of Mr. Fisher. I seem to remember when your rod was posted here. I am glad someone like you who knew the gentlemen will help carry his legacy of craftsmanship on by using the rods. It seems a shame so many fine pieces of fly fishing equipment is sitting in a corner and not being wetted on the stream. Thanks again for all the interesting information and help keep us in the news be it good or otherwise. Tight lines, Jonezee

I have an unusual multipiece Fisher Flyrod. I purchased it in 1987 for use on a trip to Montana. It is graphite, green in color with spigot ferrules. It can be used as a 7'6" 5 piece 5 weight or a 9' 7weight 6 piece. It has 2 Butt sections and a separate section for use in the 9 foot format which atttaches to the 9' Butt section. The 7 and 1/2 foot 5 piece version casts beautifully. The 9' 6 piece version casts like a fence post! I broke the tip section during my Montana trip. It was my fault; sheer carelessness. I called the company and informed them it was my fault. They told me to send it back to them. I did, they fixed it and only charged me postage. I thought this was most gracious of them, as I volunteered to pay full fare whan I called them.

It was a good company and they made a good product.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread