+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying a new rod.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I will go with the 4 piece when I buy my new rod this fall. I just have to wait till cash flow improves to lay down a good chunk of change on a nice new rod. Just have too many other commitments to take care of in the next few months. Brothers wedding in september that I have to fly back to Nova Scotia for and another wedding back east I have to miss but my fiance has to go to. Guess it gives me time to do my reasearch to what I actually want in a rod.

I've been fishing this summer with a cheap department store rod but have had the chance to borrow a few high quality rods way beyond my budget from friends. I would like to have a rod like my friend but am basically limited to around $500 total cost for my new rod reel and line. Easy enough to find more than a few models for that budget.

While day to day transport of a 2 piece rod isn't much of an issue for me, the potential to fly with a longer rod tube isn't as attactive to me as a shorter 4 piece rod tube. I'm not taking any fishing gear home to my Brothers wedding (dispite that there should be some Atlantic salmon in the Margaree Rive when I'm home) some what because of length restrictions airlines have and lack of time. I'm only making a short trip and am in the wedding so disapearing to fish won't go over well with his new wife.......She's already warned us of the consequences

HMD;
    Check out Hook & Hackle kits. You can build a great rod for little money! Yes you can do it with very little expense!

Hi,

I have a cabelas five piece stowaway, my girlfriend has a three forks two piece when we pack up to go fishing her rod case is always the odd man out because its so long. So my prefereance is more towards more sections for the sole reason that it takes up less space. I have fished and casted both rods and there is not any noticable differance lest wise to me.

wireguy

I'm actually thinkng about building a rod in the winter but I will still probably buy the one I was planning on in the fall. I tend to fish a variety of water and fish species so one rod is not going to do it all. I tend to fish alot of lakes with some decent size trout, want to tackle pike on the fly rod too, but then I also fish small creeks and we fish for perch sometimes too.

I'm thinking I might build a 2wt rod just for the small streams and perch fishing I do and use the 7wt 10 foot I want for lakes. I have a cheap 7wt now and when I go home for my brothers wedding I'll be bringing back another rod that needs some repair. I left it back east when I moved out to Alberta as I couldn't fit in in my car and figured it needs some work anyways. Now I want the thing, I forget what it is but remember it as a pretty decent rod. It's just missing a few guides due to past storage abuse it suffered being left in my mothers garage for 10 years. So basically I'll have my hands on 4 rods by next spring once I buy the one I want and get the others set up.

+ Reply to Thread