If you really want a true best fishing for low dollars, look into a fly-in drop off un-guided float trip. I am not sure if you have boating and wilderness camping abilities, but there is alot of floats that you can get done for very inexpensive if you do the rowing, navigating, camp setting and cooking. Best thing is you are on the water 24 hours, so can fish as much as you want. It takes a bit of research to decide what species you want to target, then finding a float river that meets your schedule ability and your skill level. It certainly is possible to spend less than $1500 including your airfare to Alaska for a float trip. I have heard some say less than $1000, but with airfares on airlines up now for tickets to get here, I doubt that number. Another thing is that the price does not go up for the number of days much. Ie: costs for doing six days or 14 days not much different. You will likely have really good fishing, under low pressure situations. Some rivers you may never see another group, popular ones a few maybe a day.

If you are not capable or interested in a fly-in drop-off float trip, the Kenai River is as good as it gets for a road system access road. But those are our most pressured fish, and home of the term "combat fishing" at some of the popular salmon fishing areas. Again the best experience for getting fish and getting away from the crowds is in a drift boat on the upper river where motors are banned.

A site I help moderate www.alaskaflyfish.net has lots of threads about visitors asking the same questions.