+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slough Creek

I am somewhat intrigued by Hoosierhacklers' comments regarding runoff. Runoff in the NE part of the park is normal in late-June to mid-July, and since those rivers are not dammed, it can be significant. The bugs at that time of year are normal also. Not sure who would have told you that runoff has been progressively worse as of late, I can't believe that is the case, other than the fact the entire area has been in drought the past 5 years or so. This past year, the snowpack and resulting runoff in June and July were more like non-drought years - or the normal for that area. The fish in the park do not suffer because of the runoff - they've experienced this since before any human went into the park and have done just fine. Whirling disease, non-native species, and too many people fishing do far more damage to the fish than the runoff.

Cea sees the area with the eyes of a Montanan. I see the Yellowstone streams on my way from Indiana to Seattle in July and in September on my return to the midwest. For those unfamiliar with the northeast of the park they should know that the window of fishability may be quite short and often fluctuates. For someone considering negotiating the traffic of Yellowstone in the summer a check on the conditions of the Slough before setting out may prevent a substantial waste of time. I too was intrigued by the impression of the runoff problem as clearly it is not confined to recent times only. In talking with several fisherman they felt that the size of the fish in Lamar and Slough has decreased significantly in recent years. A conversation with some limnologists from Penn State working in the park suggested a significant change in numbers and size in the Yellowstone system. To ascribe this to one variable is indeed rather simplistic but my fishing contacts had an impression rightly or not that the changing nature of the streams was to blame. Of concern however was the early impression of the limnologists that the decline evident in the Park was also progressing up the Paradise Valley. Time and further data will confirm this more accurately, but clearly the effects of pressure, drought, whirling disease, and mud have not been kind to these great waters.

I suggest Chernobles or any hopper imitation, copper johns, bead head pheasant tails, all the normal nymphs for droppers. Caddis flys are ususally good too.

The Big boys are real deliberate on the take, so try not to set too fast. Let them eat it then hit them back.

The second meadow gets a good deal of the traffic because everybody thinks the first meadow will be too crowded. the first meadow can look empty sometimes.

The third meadow separates the pack pretty well and its worth the trip.

Here's a link to story I did few years ago on my expereience on Slough Creek.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... part7.html

Good Luckjavascript:emoticon('')
    Very Happy

4. Default

Thanks everyone for the info. Certainly look forward to giving it a go.

+ Reply to Thread