+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mullet

Default Mullet

Hey guys...did anyone try fly fishing for mullet? It's a rocket! However I am on the first steps.
    Regards

Waterfox

Default Mullet on the fly

I haven't tried it but have seen a lot written about it. An Aussy site had a large article on it. They used doughball or bread flies made from trimmed deer hair, pom-poms, etc.

Here is a Florida Sportsman article on it with an Antron bread fly called a Bisquick Nymph:

[url=http://www.floridasportsman.com/flyfishing/FF_0202_Mullet/index1.html:70c6e]Mullet Musings[/url:70c6e]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Here in the big bend area of Florida, when I went in pursuit of 'Back Water Bone fish' aka mullet. I was told to enhance the chances of tussling with said wary species was by use of rolled oats and laying mash. Which is moisten to create a paste, from which meat ball size chum balls are formed. Having dispensed several of these enhancements into the general area assumed to be frequented by the subject at hand. One has only to wait and be prepared with a suitable fly rod, Id suggest a 6wt with at lest 6lbs fluoro carbon leader and a #8 furry foam fly and and a bobber......ah, er, make that strike indicator. One other note: Be prepared to set the hook just before the fish bites, they are quick on the take and refusal but not infallible, and great sport.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Paul, at your suggestion, I have been working at 'setting' the hook right before they bite. I have not perfected it as occasionally I do end up with one stuck on the hook. But, I think I am rather accomplished, as I can 'set' it right before most of the pesky things hit. This seems especially true when I can see the fish coming for it; I am almost 100% then.

That would be a Quaker fly I imagine? Do you use the old fashion or the quick ones?

Why the quick one of course. In so much as it takes a minute or less to Tye it. However in the interest of accuracy and fair play. Come the first chilly winter mourn, when oat meal is the first order of the day. Ill place my tying vise on the kitchen table, tools at the ready. Then upon pushing the start timer on the microwave, will race the Quaker to the bell. If I'm victorious, shall dub it the "Breakfast fly" and submit it to Orvi$, for mass production and distribution.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

+ Reply to Thread