Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: cabela's

Rob, it was a friend of mine that works at the KC Cabelas store that told me that the FT was a GL3. The difference comes in the components as far as I can tell. Different guides, cork, and reel seat can mak a difference in the price of the rod, but the action should be the same. However, consider that the whole idea of a "fast, moderate/fast, or moderate" speed rod must be made in relation to the other models that the particular company manufactures or sells. Additonally, I have bought 2 GL# blanks for $35 each in the past year that were not blemished in any way at all, they were just several years old. The do not resemblew the finish on more recent rods at all, so maybe the OEM guys are changing thier own pieces, or producing exclusively for certqin outlets.
    whatever the situation, Cabelas has a customer for life in me, if for nothing other than the personal service that I get from the srore here near me.
    Peace.

In many ways the internet is a wonderful thing. As an example, while writing this, I am carrying on a conversation with my youngest son who is in the Air Force, stationed in Korea. On the other hand the internet can resemble the writings usually found on bathroom walls, ie: the unworthy rantings of fools and malcontents from all walks of life. Did you ever actually believe that "For a good----call Debby at ###-##-####" was true?
    LB

[This message has been edited by papafsh (edited 23 April 2005).]

Rob,

I have a Cabelas SLi and I would put it up against a Sage, Orvis, or any other rod in looks and performance and be totally happy. Many of those who actually have a higher end Cabelas rod like the Sli, FT, and PT may know what I am talking about. Several who haven't actually used these rods may be skeptical.

The true test is for those who are curious enough to actually cast one of these rods right after they cast a Sage or one of their favorite rods. Many will will be very surprised at what they discover.

There are rod makers who have told me that the SLi blanks are remarkably similar to the Loomis rods. It would not surprise me if Loomis was a part of the process.

Best Regards,

Jamie

------------------

"You can "make those Cabela brothers rich" if you want to but I'm willing to wager these are the exact same products manufactured in the same Chinese factory."

Where you been hidin' out? Playing paddy-cakes with your friend Pedro and the inept management of that other board that's supposed to be for fly fishing? Anyways, good to see you.

Benjo

So I take it when someone calls and wants to book a trip. The first question you ask is whose rod do you fish with? If it's Cabelas then I imagine you would turn them down. I bet that the same thing goes with the flys they fish with. No "white trash" flys allowed in your drift boat.

While I would hope you would find by St Croix LU rod as acceptable, you would most likely be embarrassed when I showed up wearing my Cabelas waders and boots. So as not to cause you any undue stress, I will scratch you off my list as a potential guide on my next trip out to Yellowstone.

Cheers!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a cabela's three forks 8'6" 6 wt that his a great rod. I got it as my first rod in a package kit for about $60. It has served me well in a lot of situations.

My long held belief is that the Cabela's SLI is a Gloomis product, the FT is made by Diamondback and the PT by St Croix. By no stretch could anyone mistake a FT for a GL3. The FT is much much faster. The SLI by comparison is much like the GL3 with a very soft tip.

Bill V

"The SLI by comparison is much like the GL3 with a very soft tip."

Never in my life have I heard the words "soft tip" and "GL3" in the same sentence.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

7Star,

You are exactly 100% wrong about these being different and one having an ATV carrier etc.

Look on page 262 of Cabela's Master Spring Catalog about halfway up the page on the left hand side. The ad has/says nothing to do about an ATV hauler or any other "gizmo" attachment.

I cannot be more specific than I already have.

BOTH have a 350# rating just as I mentioned in my previous thread. These items are both so identical it isn't funny and yes, both came with a red plastic flag .... whoopee!

Now, if you'd like me to rip the page out of both catalogs and snail mail them to you I will. Or, you can take my word for what I'm telling you.

You cannot not find the truck bed extender in Cabela's unless I typed in the item number ... it is for your own typing pleasure ... DF-51-2499. The link I posted to the item doesn't even work anymore.

The price ... $109.99 for nothing more than Harbor Freight sells.

Waste your time if you must but I'm tellin' you like it is ... not how you think it is.

Gil
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Oh, almost forgot ... the Cabela's catalog I'm referring to is the 2005 Edition II

By the way, Cabela's is one of the very reasons I started tying my own flies. The first flies I ever bought from any one was Cabela's. They were tied in Sri Lanka.

But hey, y'all go ahead and make them Cabelas brothers rich if you want and look at all them pretty stuffed animals. I just choose not to when I can by elsewhere for much MUCH less.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Closed Thread