+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of items related to the Fish-In

Thank you, OLB!!
    No tigers, huh? Well, that's good to know!! Let's see; bug spray, bear spray, snake boots, bell (to bell the cat), balloons, and string ...think I'm set!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Flies and lies for the Fish-In...

Your fly boxes should be heavy with hoppers. Yellow body, tan, olive and brown bodies, too in various sizes. I guided two women from Utah yesterday, and they rolled some 17-inch browns in the early afternoon on yellow foam-body hoppers.

Black, cinnamon, and black-and-red ants are a must. Put wings on some of them, too. Flying ants are like cocaine to trout. Beetles also are very good. I tie mine with a white synthetic back over peacock herl that's been palmered with a couple of CDC feathers for legs.

Caddis dries and trailing-shuck emergers in size 16 and 18--black, tan, olive, and gray. Spent caddis, too.

There also should be whiteflies (E. lukon) below Mio at dusk. You'll need curved-body emergers along with dries and spentwings.

Now, as for the lies. Rattlers and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!!!

How about Deer Flies, mosiquitos, and no-seeums? Worry more about these critters than the ones with fangs. Bring strong insect repellant, and make sure the screening on your tent doesn't need mending.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

Thanks for the fly recommendations Capt. Tony. I will be busy at the bench the next couple of weeks and will haul all my stuff up for some of the late night "tie-and-lie" sessions. Will be sure to add in a couple of critters into the campfire story just to keep Betty from sleeping.

Jim;
    Wolves!! Big Black one's!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to have my GPS with me. It has WAAS nav system and has never lied to me. As a question, Jack, have you had the heat there that we have had here in MN? I wouldn't be expecting anything to be hatching. If it doesn't cool down fishing is out of the question. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Chubs;
    Yes sir we've had the heat!! But it's supposed to cool down about 20 degrees starting tomorrow. I just hope it holds through the Fish-In!
    One thing, the heat has driven me inside to tie fly's!

+ Reply to Thread