+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of items related to the Fish-In

Default A couple of items related to the Fish-In

1) As the date approaches, what flies do people recommend we start tying? This has probably been posted already, but might as well ask again.

2) a friendly word of advice: If this will be your first time up on the AuSable, or more specifically on the Mason Tract, don't do what I did about 3 weeks ago. If you go fishing in the Wilderness Area, understand that it really is a WILDERNESS AREA! Stick to the trails, take water, food, a cell phone, a map, maybe even a small first aid kit (especially if you need certain meds), etc. I went out to fish the South Branch for the first time a few weeks ago and being an ignorant cuss, proceeded to GET MYSELF LOST! I never even saw the river! I was very fortunate to make it back to my car 3 hours later very dehydrated, nauseated, slightly disoriented, but in one piece, and with only my ego bruised. This area is not your normal run of the mill woods. When they say wilderness, they mean WILDERNESS! If you stray from the trail, (or like me, never start on the trail in the first place, which was ultra-stupid), you may never find it again. It doesn't seem like a long ways between your car and the river, and if you get lost you think it should be no sweat to get back, but even a short time in thick brush and swamp can get you very winded in a hurry. Don't be stupid like I was. Go with someone, or at least let someone know where you are going and when you will be back (another smart thing that I did not do that day). Just be smart and you should have a great time.

in addition to the above regarding the southbranch...

if you park at one of the pull-offs on the Mason Tract trail, make sure you can actually see your car from the hiking path. When you start to head to the river you will cross the path. This path is how you will get back to your vehicle. When you get to it, stop and look back to see if you can see your car, truck whatever...if not make some mental notes or tie something around a tree...i also learned the hardway.
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

Great advise Jim,,, and looking forward to meeting you at the FI.

Jim told me this story a couple of week ago and I instantly thought GPS and not ALONE!! It is not fun to find your self LOST!! Jim showed great presence of mind and did not go into a full panic mode which would have made it worse.
    On a lighter note, we may have found a use for the 6 miles of yellow cheneille ohiotuber has. It would make great trail markers.
    I think Jim's story will be heard around the campfire early in the week. A good scary story and a campfire just go togather. All you have to do is work in a rattlesnake, a black bear and the cougar.
    I'm glad you posted your adventure to warn other's of the dangers of "Going off by "One's Self". From now on I will respectfully call you "Path Finder".

I used to keep a bag of ballons in my bag of odds and ends for this kind of situation. A balloon tied to a branch at the point where you enter the water and another at a hundred feet or so toward the car and so on till you get there. Blown up ballons are easy to see even with a flashlight and they can be popped and carried out very easily. This system worked fine until my neice found out I had ballons in that bag. She's almost 30 now so I could use it again but I guess I'll stick with the G.P.S and a compass.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hey Jim!...No problem...we'll just tie one end of my chenille to your vehicle door & the other to your keester! We'll still have plenty left for the trading table!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Maps are good, maps and a compass are better. I have been in woods and known where I had to go, but without a trail the going can get quite hard and you can wear yourself out in no time. I suggest sticking to trails whenever possible.

jed

Oh, man ... ! There you go with the snakes, cougars and bears again!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,
    Don't worry there are no tigers there.
    jed

Have you guys read Rusty's most recent fishing report?

Rumor has it there is a cougar running around down on the Mason Tract. Fisherman first reported seeing a cat with a long tail.... coming out on the trail one night fishing late for hex. Same week, another angler reports something followed him for over a half mile as he's walking back to his car. Same general area.

Now the report is DNR has been baiting with dead deer carcasses in the area. Guess what! These deer are being dragged into the tops of trees! That's a cougar.... and at least we know he's being well fed. So if you hear strange sounds in the night, better start singing to let em know you are just another fisherman.
    This one has me a little on edge The access point I normally fish is one that is the furthest of all of them from your car to the river. Might have to find a new spot when I'm going out at night

+ Reply to Thread