+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Candy

Default Crappie Candy

Tied up several of Al Campbells Crappie Candy flies yesterday. The only difference was I didn't have the wool for the body, so I substituted electric green embroidery floss that I had layin around. Went back to the golf course I wrote about in a previous post.Caught several gills, crappie, and a huge channel catfish on it. Me n the cat had a fight over the fly stuck in the rubbery stuff in the corner of his mouth. Ya know once that rubbery stuff gets twisted it's almost imnpossible to get the hook out. Great fight and great fun. I had almost forgotten how slimey those dang things are. After de-sliming my hands, my fishin towel was trash, it looked like it had snot all over it.
    Better ways and better days.

hope you made a nice dinner out of that cat. I find them highly less slimy than pike, and much more tasty. Both are great fighters, though. Love catching both species and especially on a fly. JGW

Don't those pike have a lot of bones?

Bubba
    I have tied the Crappie Candy in size 6 with an ice chenille body for steelhead. One deadly fly any way or size you tie it.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Bubba,

Did you knock the barb off the hook before you fished it? Before I got a fly rod I fished channel cats with crappie jigs. They used to hit the red and chartreuse best.

Man, I like me a plate o' catfish... Mmm, MMmm!!!

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I've used the floss for bodies on crappie candies and it works well. I've also used Larva Lace and Wapsi Stretch Lace for bodies as well and had good luck, especially on white bass and crappie. Haven't had any cats yet on this one, but an ocasional carp and gar will come along and slurp them up
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Was that in a lake? If so, how deep and what type on fly line was that? I'm having difficulties fishing lake right now.

Default flyline

jkilroy,
    actually I was fishing in a pond on a golf course that has been closed. People use it for jogging n walking. I was using a 6 weight, weight forward floating line. Pond prolly isn't 4 feet deep at deepest point. Went back this morning n took a bud. He caught a big catfish on crappie candy n I caught about 15 crappie n a few bass n gills on a skip morris panfish fly that rick z was kind enought to provide.

Will it make a difference if you use chenielle for the body and lead painted eyes?

Fatman Guest

Default crappie candy

ducksterman

Pike and pickeral have lots of bones but if you know how you can de-bone the whole fillet. It's really hard to explain but here's an example

http://www.fishingbuddies.ca/cpg132/dis ... m=14&pos=7

It's in french but just watch the video and you're all set.

Fatman

+ Reply to Thread