Took a trip north of my hometown (Ithaca) to the Salmon River for a day of hard fishing late last week (sorry for the delay in posting this report). The River was running unusually high for the summer (1200 fps compared to a more traditional 200 fps). Regardless, the need for shots at large fish was great and the big water did not worry my two fishing partners and I too much.

Started in the Upper Fly Zone. The water really was roaring and the tail-out of the pool was not half as enticing as it is at flows under 750 fps. With hope in my heart, I tied on my favorite Salmon River streamer (gold conehead, golden angora body, tan rabit size 4 salmon hook) made my first cast, on the swing - bam!!! 12 inch Land Locked Atlantic Salmon. We fished the pool hard but did not manage to hook any other fish.

From that point we began working our way downstream . . . same story, lots of small fish, including rainbow trout, king salmon, coho salmon and the infamous creek chub.

The water was brutal and eventually we decided to scout out some smaller streams that could yield good fish that day or give us more fall run fishing options.

The first stream we stopped at yielded a number of small fish and one, rod bending . . . creek chub. Regardless, we worked our way down this cool stream sipping nice, cool, dark, belgin beer. A good respite from the mornings beating.

A bit later we went searching again and hit a gem of a stream located not too far from the Salmon River.

Again, first cast with my fly of the 2002 (Micro Wooly Bugger - black, size 10, black bead head, red throat) and bam, a real monster rips from under a bank and takes my fly. I set the hook and the fight is on. Several minutes later I land a beautiful, unmarked, 18 inch Brown Trout. Amazing. Fishing upstream yeilded a bright, wild rainbow of 15 inches. This fish slammed one of my friends crayfish pattern flies and put up a wonderful, rolling, jumping, boiling battle. A small mouth bass marked the final notable fish of the day this was a great, dark fish that took a hellgramite pattern and bulldogged deep into a nice pool.

Well, thats it. No big fish on the main reiver, but an excellent trip none the less.

Overall, the Salmon River sees very little summer pressure, yet it can still be a great place to fish.