Typical summer fishing. Early mornings, caddis are generally good. As the day progresses, shift to beetles, ants, and hoppers. Finding shaded areas during midday has yielded some big trout (for this river, anyway). The catch-and-release section has been incredible all season. Starting to see tricos in 20-22, and even smaller, all the way up to the Prettyboy Dam. Plenty of fish eating nymphs (the usual assortment: GRHE, PT), green weenies, and san juan worms.

I have been fishing during hot days, dropping a size 18 ant off a foam beetle (sz 12), with yesterday being one of my best days dry fly fishing yet. Caught my biggest brown on a dry, a 17 inch male that raced out from under a boulder to gulp down the beetle. That fish was caught after the two previous casts each yielded 14-inchers from the same 15-yard stretch of rock and tree overhangs.

I've seen a bunch of snakes lately, and not knowing what kind they are, I'd caution anyone who ventures out there to tread loudly unless you're in the water.

Tight lines, y'all!

Marty