+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunpowder River, MD

Default Gunpowder River, MD

Typical summer fishing. Early mornings, caddis are generally good. As the day progresses, shift to beetles, ants, and hoppers. Finding shaded areas during midday has yielded some big trout (for this river, anyway). The catch-and-release section has been incredible all season. Starting to see tricos in 20-22, and even smaller, all the way up to the Prettyboy Dam. Plenty of fish eating nymphs (the usual assortment: GRHE, PT), green weenies, and san juan worms.

I have been fishing during hot days, dropping a size 18 ant off a foam beetle (sz 12), with yesterday being one of my best days dry fly fishing yet. Caught my biggest brown on a dry, a 17 inch male that raced out from under a boulder to gulp down the beetle. That fish was caught after the two previous casts each yielded 14-inchers from the same 15-yard stretch of rock and tree overhangs.

I've seen a bunch of snakes lately, and not knowing what kind they are, I'd caution anyone who ventures out there to tread loudly unless you're in the water.

Tight lines, y'all!

Marty

update.

the river is alive in the early morning with caddis, sizes 20-22, maybe a few 18s but not many. BWOs are hatching at least above Falls Rd in large numbers. I witnessed a thick one this morning, despite the sun. It must have been the cooler air, but regardless the fish were all over them. sizes 18-20. fish are not feeding on anything else during the BWO hatch...not even caddis.

after 11 AMish, fish are looking at everything: nymphs, dries, even buggers. I and two buddies caught several fish on ants, beetles, copper johns, stimulators, caddis and brown woolly buggers. My personal favorite is a size 12 foam beetle (herl body and silly legs) with a size 18 black ant as a dropper. 7X will guarantee more looks at this time of year when the fish are busy earning their PhDs in dry fly discrimination.

as usual, nymphs in riffles and deep holes, terrestrials near banks, rocks, and overhanging flora. I caught the same fish this past tuesday as I did on sunday in the same place, so they're not ALL brilliant.

a special bonus came tonight after a few hours off the water. went back and first fish was a beautiful 14" rainbow that jumped half a dozen times on its way to hand. ate a drowned ant.

tight lines, y'all.

marty

Nice reports. I guess your a fan of the full parking lots and huge influx of anglers we've been seeing these past couple years. Keep it up.

It's "you're", not "your".

Marty

im thinkin about heading up there labor day weekend, hafta see what the wifes schedule is first thought, is it typically crowded that weekend? or is everyone at the beach?
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Roger,

You might as well stay away, with all the crowded parking lots and guys out there ruining the river by wading, flyfishing, and catching (and releasing) fish.

You'd be better off waiting until January when the water temps are in the low 40s, the trails are iced over, you get to fish midges, and the fish are all the dumber for not seeing an artificial fly in days rather than minutes. And go on a weekday, just to be safe.

OK, seriously, it will be crowded Labor Day weekend. It's generally crowded every weekend - depending on where you go and what your definition of crowded happens to be. The cooler it gets the less you have to contend with tubers, kayaks and canoes. Personally they don't bother me for the most part, until the beer-swilling holligans come through in groups of 20, splashing and screaming.

The farther downriver you go, the sparser the fishing crowd but the thicker the boating crowd. I enjoyed some success this weekend in both atmospheres.

Maybe MikeL will show up (probably not, especially if there are too many cars in the parking lots) and we can all fish together.

Drop me an email when you figure out your plans....should be back from vacation by then.

Marty

i'll be sure to email ya. and trips this winter are in the works too.

since i'll be there christmas at moms anyway, well..... mom shouldnt mind any
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I fish it on the weekdays after work.

How long have you been fishing there? It is substantially more crowded than it was just 3 years ago. Id really rather not share a run or hole with another angler which is why I fish the small streams on the weekends. The fishing is still great but I enjoy my solitude. Keep up with the reports, there is really no skin off my back but I really dislike seeing all these hook scared fish that I have seen the past couple years. I guess nothing is a secret anymore, not since the internet became fly fishers main way of getting information.

Ill fish with you some time, even on a weekend.

PS Feel free to correct my grammar as you see fit.

mike dont critisize the net, read the midatlantic fly fishing mag sometime. the gunpowder is in it all the time, articles and reports. avaialable at any flyshop
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

All Im saying is it has been crowded.

It use to be my little piece of heaven and now, while the fishing is still great, it is everyone from 4 states little piece of heaven. I'm just bitter I guess and don't like the hotspotting.

Im not entirely guiltless either. When I first started posting on Flyfishing websites I would always be posting my bragging reports about it too.

+ Reply to Thread