I moved to Baltimore in '98. Certainly less pressure on the river, but I was in grad school and didn't fish nearly as much as I do now. I have a few theories as to why things have become busier, among them the average size of the fish, overall numbers of adult trout, improvements in water control, perhaps even a local upswing of flyfishing interest. Access is very good, too, though this is not a recent issue.

The state is very proud of the tailwater, as well they should be. It got a great deal of press from about 1997 on and has without a doubt boosted tourism and the local economy. I think every trout fisherman should get his or her day on the river, if for nothing else than the breathtaking scenery in many spots.

That said, if I don't feel like dealing with the hordes of fishermen, I just go somewhere else. There are a few decent places that are just a shade farther out of the way, like "Gopher" Creek outside of "Fredneck" (names changed to protect the innocent from hotspotting). Places like that don't tolerate the pressure as well because they are still being established. But the Gunpowder seems to be holding up well, and the trout are still dumb enough for a hack like me to catch a few, rarely.

My feeling is that FAOL is about sharing information. Grumbles belong in the sound-off board anyway.

If you ever get the itch, I'd be honored to wet a line with you. And I'll even keep quiet about where we go and what we (don't?) catch!

Marty