+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills

Default Black Hills

Anyone out there ever fished in the Black Hills of S.D.?
    I will be heading for South West S.D. and have no idea where to go.
    I will be fly fishing, panning for Gold and shooting Prairie Dogs. Hope to find someone to go along.
    Bob.
    Mountain Home,Ar.

Default Black Hills

Thanks, printing out the info now.
    Bob

Gee, with several thousand pages,,, how could you possibly have missed them? lol Hope they help you!

Yep. You must be new to the boards. Everyone here knows there aren't any trouts in the Black Hills!!

google Hill City,SD or Black Hills tourism. In addition to Al's articles, you'll be overwhelmed. Don't know about shooting prairie dogs though. Most of the ones I've met are on State grounds (parks), and I believe the rangers frown on that.

You might also invest the few bucks needed for the Steve Kinsella book, Trout Fishing in the Black Hills.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

You can tell the difference between a Prarrie Dog, a Richardson Ground Squirrel and a Black-footed ferret,,, at a hundred yards or so? Hope so.

krausebb,

I just came back from trout fishing in the Black Hills. I usually fish Rapid Creek above Lake Pactola at Silver City. You can fish above the dam or below it. There are special rules for below the dam. Other streams are: Spearfish Creek, Castle Creek, Box Elder Creek, and many others. There is another post here suggesting some Google topics. Another is to check out Dakota Anglers web site here: http://www.flyfishsd.com/ There you will find fishing reports and suggested flies. It's a cool place to visit, too. Another fly shop is the Hardware Hank store in Hill City. You can also stop in Mitchell to visit the Cabela's store. If you plan to fish there a lot, a good book is "Trout Fishing in the Black Hills" by Steve Kinsella. It gives a lot of information about the Black Hills, and gives directions to accessing the creeks. Good luck. Be sure to vist Mt. Rushmore...I think Teddy R. has a fly rod hidden somewhere

Rev.
    Rev. Craig

It's a long way from the Black Hills to Mitchell to see a Cabelas store unless you are passing through anyway. Are you driving roundtrip? I visit that store about every year on the pheasant/sharptail/chicken trip.

Pdogs are a big problem for cattlemen and hunters in parts of S.D., and never an asset to rowcroppers either. Catle will break a leg in the holes, and they are he11 on birddogs and hunters who are preoccupied with everything goign on in the field and can not constantly watch their step. Pdog colonies also attract massive numbers of rattlesnakes (within the snake's range). I hope you shoot a whole bunch of them.

If you want a contact, send me a PM. I know of some cattlemen in east central S.D. who are always looking to thin the Pdog herds in their pastures.

Rapid Creek, below Pactola, has been hit hard with the didimo (sp). Be very careful, if you fish there, to NOT spread the disease on your waders and boots. Follow the disinfecting rules very carefully.

Having been in Hill City recently, the only fishing stuff we found at the hardware store were the licenses. Rapid City with Scheels and Dakota Angler, are a much better bet. Or plan well from the gitgo, and make sure you have everything you need before leaving home....and a few spares.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I should have been more clear, but I thought a map might be used. Yes, if you are in the Black Hills already, Mitchell is a long drive to Cabela's. As far as the Hardware Hank, I didn't vist the store when I was in Hill City last week. They used to carry flies, a few rods, etc. Too bad they have cut back. Indeed, the Scheel's store at Rushmore Mall, and Dakota Anglers old downtown Rapid are the best bet.

Rev.
    Rev. Craig

+ Reply to Thread