+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to fly fishing........

Default New to fly fishing........

Hello, thanks for awonderful forum. I have never fly fished before. SOmething I have always wanted to do. Now the kids are a little older I am wanting to do those things. My question, for someone just beginning what kind of rod/reel combo would you folks recommend?? I do not want the cheapest. I do not mind paying for something that will last me awhile. Also, I am always wanting to learn so any tips you pro's can give a greenhorn will be appreciated. Thanks again, Craig M. Houchins

welcome to the madness. JGW

Hey Craig,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. Best way IMHO is if you
    can go to a shop and try an assortment of gear in your price range
    or if you have friends that might have gear you can try. It's hard to
    know what you'll like best right out of the box. Fortunatly, most of the
    entry level gear today is pretty good stuff. Read everything in the
    archieves about starting out in the sport. Some good info there. When
    you have questions just ask them. Warm regards, Jim

check out the beginners sections on here too...

Craig knowing where you live I feel you will be bluegill and bass fishing--There are two combo that you should look into--rod reel line and leader in the package. Cabela's Three Forks 8ft 6 5 weight line or Scientific Anglers 9 ft 6 weight combo. In the spring and fall you can come up to northern Indiana for some good size trout.

Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate it and I am sure I will have alot of questions Craig

Craig, you'll probably really love this sport and I encourage you to try it. I wish I had started at least 30 years earlier than I did.

For some pretty good start up information, go to the FAOL home page, click on the fly fishing basics button and then try the various sections.

Go to the web sites for Cabelas, Orvis and LL Bean and order their free fly fishing catalogs (not their fishing catalogs). That will give you a good idea of the alternatives you have and their prices.

Then, if you have a local fly fishing store, go there, tell them you are interested in taking up the sport and ask them what they reco for you in terms of equipment. If their prices are similar to the catalogs and they don't seem to be pushing you into high end equipment right at the start, buy there. You'll come to treasure the relationship with a good local shop.

There are a large number of beginners instruction books. Se what your local library has or can order for you. I prefer the LL Bean one, but the Orvis one is a close second.

I'm guessing that, living in Indiana, most of your fishing will be still water. If so, my reco would be a medium fast 6 weight as your first rod purchase, followed by a 4 weight for smaller fish later. But a 5-weight would also be fine. 5 is a very versatile rod weight, but can be a bit challenged when casting heavy flies or bring in big still water fish.

The reel quality is unimportant to you at this stage. The line quality is important. You can't go wrong with a Cortland 444 Classic in a double taper (DT) matched to your rod weight. There are many other great lines out there and some probably even better, but this one is time tested and a good value.

You may end up buying a combo set that includes rod, reel and line, as well as other stuff. That's OK as long as it is a good brand name.

There is a ton of good info available to you on the net and some remarkable experts who will answer your questions on various bulletin boards. This board may be the most newbie-friendly one out there. Still, I do encourage you to Google your question before you post it as, chances are, it has been asked and answered many times.

Hope you end up joining us in this most relaxing passion!

Welcome to the dark side of fishing!

The only advice I will offer is to not skimp on fly line

Default newby

Craig, it hasnt been said yet so I will. New guy always makes the coffee and make sure ya wipe your shoes off. LF likes a clean house. What others and Poobah said. Check out the archives on here. Theres tons of info on everything, and dont forget to check out the sponsers for all the goodies.

my first outfit was one of those bargain things from Walmart. It was awful. THen I did some research and bought some quality items and have not a single regret. It is easy to be impatient and want equipment right off. But, like other have recommended, go to a fly shop. If there is not one close then to the catalog thing, ask questions on forums and even borrow a rod to cast if you can. I love this sport. There is an elegance about it which is lovely.
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread