+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions from a complete beginner

Default Questions from a complete beginner

I'm a fly tyer, but want to build my own rod. Do I have to buy alot of specialized equipment or can I do it by fashioning my own tools. For instance, I have made a fly turner that I can easily convert to a rod turner, can I use a heavy fly bobbin for wraps things like that. I do plan to purchase decent materials for the project, where is a good place for supplies.
    I hopt these aren't stupid questions. Any help would be great!
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Default rod building tools

Bear, go to the left side of home page. There is a section there on rod building by late Al Campbell. Lots of good info. You can take a cardboard box, cut v notches in each end, pad with something. Lay the blank there. go toward the bottom of box facing you poke a small hole for tying bobbin and there you go. Also can use a book run thread througgh. If you need more tension put a bowel of pennies on top. Its like fly tying. Get creative and be warned, this gets very addictive. Who knows mayby youll wind up with us who are into tea sticks. Have fun Clyde

Harebear;
    If you follow Clyde's advice you'll find a tip on building a thread tensioner out of a mousetrap! As to specialized equipment, hummmm.... A razor knife, a butane lighter, good lighting (I have a 4' shoplight over my bench)and a clean area to work in.
    I am also the unofficial keeper of the Rod Building video's and should have a couple available this week. Send me your snail mail address and I'll loan you one to help you get started.
    My first rod was a 2 pc. 9' 3 wt. from Hook & Hackle. It was awkward working with 4 & 1/2 foot sections for my first rod. I suggest a 3 or 4 pc. for your first.
    P.S. A kit comes with enough epoxies to build several rods.

Sounds good to me. Is it better to buy a kit than to piece one together? I would imagine so to ensure a good solid fit. I saw some kits at a website, J. Stockard fly fishing for around 70-80 dollars. IS this good or is there a better place?
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Harebear,

Check out Hook & Hacle at http://www.hookhack.com/. They have very nice kits of their own and kits from Forecast blanks. You won't go wrong on these. I have built several and been very happy with all.

Plus they are one of our sponsors.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

harebear;
    What Panfisher said.
    H&H has 33% off the Forecast kits with glue's
    The 6'6" 2 wt. 4 pc. is 60 bucks! And, a 9' 5 wt. 2 pc. is 63 bucks!

I would have to agree with all the noted comments and by starting with a kit from one of the sponsors of this site is a good way to go. Before you go gung-ho into the build. spend some time and do some research using the rod building achives of this site. It will provide you with step by step procedures and if you are uncertain of things, continue asking questions from the group. Lots of good advice here. For a great finished rod, the best piece of advice I have to offer is..........keep everything clean, clean, clean. A minor fussy thing I know, but it will save you a heartache of spending lots of time doing a good job on a rod build only to have the final finish turn ugly. Take your time and don't try to rush each step, mix your epoxy very well and you should have something to be proud of for the rest of your lifetime. Nothing nicer than to catch and release a beautiful fish on a rod you have built using a fly that you have tied. What a rush
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

+ Reply to Thread