+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owens River

Default Owens River

Have a pre-opening day/pre-crowds trip planned to Pleasant Valley and below next weekend (April 23rd) with some buddies. LA Water Dept has thrown a wrench in our plans and increased the flow below the resevoir to 600cfs. Does anyone have any spots that we can get a 35 foot motorhome near that will be open?

Really appreciate any input!

Brad

Maybe try Pyramid lake in Nevada. Don't know where you are coming from, but the fishing is good, and you could park a 500' motor home at that place! Don't fish the Owens at 600 it would be brutal. Other option is to wait a few weeks and hit somewhere post-opener.

Good luck,

-John

Just read your profile, I see you are from Ventura. I went to Ventura high school (class of '87) and lived there for 12 years. So, knowing where you are coming from, Pyramid is probably too far - 9 hours each way. Have you thought about just staying local and fish the Sespe or Piru creek? Piru is usually excellent this time of year. The only other place I can think of is the Kern river near Johsondale, or maybe the lower Kings, but I think those may both be closed under the general trout regs. Sorry wish I could help more, best of luck to you.

-John

Thanks for the replies. I do live in Ventura (Buena 88!). I have made this pre-opening trip before and done very well. Of course the water was at 200cfs. Do you know of any other spots on the 395 below Bishop that are open now and fishable?

Wow what a small world. I bet we have run into each other at some point or another, I went to every Buena/Ventura football game between '84 and '87. If you every shopped at Great Pacific Iron Works I was there for 7 years (87-94) and worked in the fly shop until they got rid of it in the early 90's I may have run into you there as well.

Anyway I don't really know anyplace else near 395 that would be reachable from a motorhome, open for trout season, or with decent water conditions. You might try a fly shop in Mammoth, most of them have changed hands since I was out there, try a web search. If the Kern is open near Johnsondale that is a really nice stretch of water, or least it used to be, only about 4 hours from Ventura. If you don't fish it this time, try it some time in the future. There are a number of trails and tribs of the Kern in that area that have good fishing as well.

Good luck on your trip and watch the flows on the lower owens maybe they will lower them back in time for your trip. My guess is they are making some room in Pleasant Valley Reservoir for all that runoff getting ready to come down after the wet winter.

Best,

-John

All the streams on 395 from Independence Creek and below should be open right now. The Haiwee Reservoir is open too. You can get more info on these areas from the High Sierra Flyfisher at [url=http://www3.iwvisp.com/flyfisher/default.asp.:39a51]http://www3.iwvisp.com/flyfisher/default.asp.[/url:39a51] You can also try Lake Isabella or the Kern River. More info on this area can be found at the Kern River Fly Fishers at [url=http://kernriverflyfishing.com/index.htm.:39a51]http://kernriverflyfishing.com/index.htm.[/url:39a51] Good-luck!

Thanks again for the replies! I'm sure we crossed paths. I played football and baseball at Buena. What a great rivalry!

I am thinking about hitting the Kern. It looks like the flows are pretty high up there as well. I may try Independence and Haiwee Reservoir. One thing is for sure, I will be throwing a fly this weekend!

I'll post back when we return with an update.

Cheers!

Bit north of Bishop is Topaz Lake. It is open and fishes well until it gets real hot. Plenty of room for the RV there.
    Rich

check out the Owen's River above pleasant valley reservoir. the road is paved all the way in with decent (though not the best) maneuvering available. flows above the res. are typically around 80-100cfs right about now, but picking up as the snows melt and Crowely starts flowing.

bring waders and a staff, if possible. its a tricky little stream in the gorge, but the fish are there. find the back eddies and pools, and youll do fine on dries and/or nymphs. i would start at the power plant and work my way upstream. in fact, ill be out there this coming weekend. look for the little blue '66 dodge dart in the parking lot...

if you were wondering--baetis have been hatching mid morning and early evening, causing the fish in the canal (unfishable right now) to jump out after them. full body aerials are common behind my house . also, be ready for possible caddis hatches coming off in the late afternoon to evening hours. they have been sporadic, as it is still early in the summer, but if the warm weather cooperates, theyll be there.

[This message has been edited by tyflier (edited 18 April 2005).]

Might want to try North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Tule River, just North and East of Springville, CA. It is open all year and you won't have any company. Check the regs for CA. From LA, it is about a 3 hr. drive.. I will be up there for the opener with my son and daughter and have been going up there since 1981. I have NEVER seen another person on the River when the Eastern Sierra opens!

TB/ planettrout
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread