The very first Virtual Fly Swap here on FAOL was an interesting experiment. Thanks JC and LF for allowing me to run here. I could have easily re-named it the "Pulling Hen's Teeth Fly Swap"

I received a few e-mails and PM's regarding the concept of a virtual swap and I think it is a format which could catch-on. Especially so, since more and more tyers are becoming familiar with digital cameras and internet communications.

The Virtual Fly Swap offers tyers a fast way to share patterns easily. The resulting V-patterns can be saved to disk or printed out to serve as pattern instructions to tie for yourself - much in the same way that traditional swap flies may get displayed on a member's website for all FAOL members to share.

The huge difference in this new swap format is that the V-Swap fly tyer ties (1) fly and then simply e-mails a picture of it to the swap host. Traditional fly swaps typically have tyers tie a dozen or more flies (copys) and mail them away to wait for months to see the other's flies. Of course nothing keeps V-Fly Swap particpants from trading "real" flies after the swap.

As Swap Host, I would like to share the results of the "Size #6 Streamer Swap" through the link below. In this thread, I would also like to open up a discussion on the flies in the swap, as well as the general concept of Virtual Fly Swaps. Consider these questions if you will: Would you ever join one? Are they going to become more popular in the near future? Does the Virtual Fly Swap compete with FOTW? I feel that V-Swaps actually may flush-out flies that may become FOTW .

Lastly, I would like to thank the few brave tyers that blazed a fresh trail by joining the first virtual fly swap on FAOL. Hopefully they will comment on thier experience too.

Rich Lewis aka FlyMaker2

[url=http://www.flymaker.com/images/vfs1.htm:a1206]Virtual Fly Swap #1 Patterns Link[/url:a1206]