+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy boo

Default Heavy boo

I just bought a used South Bend 7wt Bamboo rod 9', I was trying it out the other day I couldnt get over how heavy it is. I was saying to my girlfriend if I fish this often I will have to cast from both sides so one arm doestn get bigger than the other. The numbers on the rod show this is a bass/steelie rod, I just cant see casting this sucker for alot of hours or do you just get use to it. It is my first boo rod, the few others I have casted were 4 wts and 5wts but I dont recollect they were that heavy. Also one of them was a quad the other a hex (my 7wt is a hex).
    Also is there a pill for this sickness.....

Thanks

wireguy

Now you know why most boo rods sold today, (even the vintage ones), are 4 & 5 weights.
    FFF Life Member #22

Well, I remember seeing you buy that rod and thinking that is one heavy darn rod. But it said what it was for. Figured you wanted something like that. Even a 6wt these days might be about all I would want to cast all day.

Blog Entries

Wire it will look good on the Den Wall when your not fishing it. Besides arms like Popeye are in
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Nope, there isn't any pill for this addiction of yours. But I can offer you some relief. Just send all of your bamboo rods to me, and I will properly dispose of them. This will help with your sore casting arm as well.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Default Black Troll

wireguy,
    Here's the pill for your affliction. I'm sure it would cure more than just one ill.
    http://www.ronkusse.com/blacktroll.html
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Dear wireguy,

This is just an observation, and it is not a criticism directed at you or anyone else in particular so I hope you are not offended.

What a bunch of big babies we have become. We are really spoiled by graphite rods.

The difference between a 4 ounce rod, a pretty typical weight for a graphite 7/8 weight rod, and an 8 ounce rod is 4 ounces, not 4 pounds! Fifty or sixty years ago people did in fact fish all day long with big, heavy, cumbersome bamboo rods and I haven't ever seen evidence that anybody's arm ever fell off.

Slow down, let the rod do the work, and I think you'll be able to squeeze in a day's fishing without having to visit the emergency room.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Default heavy wood

Wireguy:

That is heavy wood and will take some getting used to. Do be sure that you are hanging a heavy enough reel off the back end of it to balance. If the balance point gets too much infront of the grip you suffer all the more from the weight.

David

Carry some 'Band-Aids,' as soon as a spot starts to 'burn' put one on. That is, if you don't already have blisters.

I would just like to reinforce 2 points already brought up by others.

1) Let the rod do the work- You don't need to use an aggressive casting motion as you do with some graphite rods.

2) be sure that you are hanging a heavy enough reel off the back end of it to balance - Balance is important, especially with a heavier rod

I have a South Bend 8.5 rod and I used it last fall for steelhead with no problem. Let the rod do the work.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread