For me personally, the rigid stripping baskets work a whole lot better. I have an Orvis basket, similar to the L.L. Bean basket in the picture.

Just a thought. If you need a "portable" stripping basket, bear in mind they are easy to make as long as you have the materials. Mateials would be

(1) Bungee cord or belt for your waist
(2) Cable ties, weed eater or weed wacker line
(3) Dishpan of proper size
(4) Something to drill holes with

All but (3) could be easily packed, so bring (1), (2), and (4) with you. That's to avoid having to run around for materials. Buy a (3) once you arrive and make the stripping basket on site. Leave (3) behind when you leave. It would be a very minor expense compared to the rest of your trip, whereever it's going to be.

You need to work out the configuration that works for you beforehand. After I figured out a mesh basket wasn't going to work for me, I made one from a dish pan, and used it with a bungee cord. The bungee cord wasn't the proper length for my waist size, so it was just too uncomfortable. I fooled around until too late for the next time out and wound up buying the commercial Orvis basket at the last minute.

But I've seen lots of good surf fly casters use the homemade kind and they seem to work just fine.