+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Landlubber ? on reading tide charts.

Default Landlubber ? on reading tide charts.

I am planning to be in the Ft Myers area the first part of November, and trying to pick the best day to do some fishing. I know that you want to fish the days where there is the most tide movement but I am to number challenged to figure it out It appears there is some good distance between high and low tide but the time of day is not the best from what I can tell, any advice would be appreciated. I will be there from 10/31 to 11/5

Our best fishing here in the Pacific NW, where we can have as much as 13 feet difference in high and low tide, is on an incoming tide. Following the 'high' tide is a time period before the tide goes out again. That is called a 'high slack'.

Hope that helps.

Tides are Low at 5:13 in the AM on the 31st.
    And it repeats about every 12 1/2 hours, so high is about 6 1/4 hours after the low. and so on forever!

As your stay goes on the tides will increase in their height so later will have more tide than earlier in the week.

www.Saltwatertides.com has this info for you. Figure the best fishing is 2 hours before the low to 2 hours before the high, depending on where you are fishing.

hope this helps.

FYI, the closer to the equator the less difference in the tide. Ft. Myers is about 1 ~ 1.5 feet, up near Chris Chin in Saguenay, Quebec it is as much as 18ft, averaging about 12'.

jed

Thanks for the help!

Gulf Coast tides aren't the same because the Gulf is so shallow. Sometimes there's only one long tide all day between the high & low which is about 2 feet of rise & fall on the west coast. Moving water is all ways good, but sometimes there really isn't much flow so any time is a good time to go fishing www.chff.info has a link to the tides around here.

I was in sanibel a few weeks ago. The only thing that seemed to matter with the tide was that it was moving. In or out.

phish

+ Reply to Thread