+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time out

Default First time out

Well, I took the yak out for the first time today, in the Banana River. A buddy loaned me a Wilderness Freedom 15 to use, and it was the first time in a kayak.
    1. Got there before sunrise, got ate up by no-see-um's.
    2. Put the yak in the water, drug it out far enough to float, no-see-um's followed me for breakfast.
    3. Managed to get in the yak without flipping.
    4. Paddled a while to get used to the yak, dropped the paddle overboard when I thought I was going to flip.Had the paddle on a leash, so one disaster averted!
    5. Got the hang of it, and started looking for fish, made sure I stayed in water shallow enough to get back in if I flipped.
    6. Tried flyfishing out of the yak, not too bad, but thought I would do better if I waded.
    7. Got out of the yak, started casting a #2 olive foam popper. Had a fish on in 3 casts. 1st jump, saw it was a small Ladyfish. Had to try and get the fish in and keep the yak close, as I didn't bring an anchor.
    8. Before I could land the fish, my Winston Ibis broke just above the ferrule.
    9. Landed the fish, put the rod in the yak, cause I neglected to bring a spare, paddled back to the truck, loaded up, sent the rod back to be fixed, and I will be back out there in the morning!

Nice adventure eh. An anchor is one alternative. Another is to bring a teather and tie it to your belt, around yourself etc. I think you can cast better wading, but you can get closer in a yak and you can often place the wind behind you to make your casting easier.

There is trolling too which I always do when coming or going to someplace. I am frequently surprised with what I pick up.

An easy way to get into a yak is to place it on the water's edge where you have support from the ground as you enter the boat. Once you are in you can poll out like a skier (1/2 paddle in each hand). When you are deep enough, put your paddle together and away you go. Do the reverse coming in. When I do it I don't even get my feet wet. If you are big enough, straddle the yak and then sit down. With a foot planted on each side you won't tip over getting in.

jed

Thanks for the tip, Jed, I will try them!

I do what Jed does Trolling in between spots. I do this on the Connecticut River. I have cought SM Bass and walleye. You never know what will hit it.
    Fishing from a Yak is alot of fun.

Puff
    US Army 90-92
    577th ENGR BN Training Co.

+ Reply to Thread