+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sofa Pillow or Stimulator

Default Sofa Pillow or Stimulator

Which one do you find more effective?
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

What are you fishing for?

I see from your other post it's trout so......

IMHO it's the stimulator.
    I believe that the sofa pillow is more specific to a fluttering stonefly , salmonfly.....the stimulator I think is more suggestive of a wider variety of bugs...

There's very little difference between an improved Sofa Pillow and a Stimulator. Sofa Pillows are imitative of adult salmonflies, while Stimulators do well imitating smaller stones and caddis.

While the original Sofa Pillow with its unadorned floss body and squirrel wing may be classic in appearance, it won't stay on top as long as the improved version or the Stimi will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    There's very little difference between an improved Sofa Pillow and a Stimulator. Sofa Pillows are imitative of adult salmonflies, while Stimulators do well imitating smaller stones and caddis.

While the original Sofa Pillow with its unadorned floss body and squirrel wing may be classic in appearance, it won't stay on top as long as the improved version or the Stimi will.
    I have always tyed what you call the improved Sofa Pillow and it has been one of my most reliable flys. I tied some of Charlie Cravens version of the stimulator this year and it has proved to be quite good too. It got me to thinking about whether anyone had noticed a significanse between the two.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

+ Reply to Thread