I imagine many of us have had to improvise while out fishing. Maybe something broke or was missing so we made due with what we had or could find. I was out fishing the other day with my two children for Bluegills. My Son caught a nice size one, who took the hook very deep. We decided to keep it. Problem was we were going to be at this park fort a while, as we had not visited the playground. So, needed to keep fish fresh while we played in the park. I did not have a stringer, as I stopped carrying one some time ago. Kids were spin fishing but I had brought along my fly rod and vest. I happened to have some old backing. Cut a three foot piece of backing, tied a loop in one end and tied the other end around a small stick. Had to whittle one end of the stick so it would pass through fish?s mouth, gills and then through the loop. It worked well enough to hold three more Bluegills until we fixed them and ate for dinner. A 2 and 5 year old are easily impressed with such innovative skills. Any other stories of fishing innovation?