+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X Fluorocarbon??

Default 8X Fluorocarbon??

Does it exist?

I checked Rio, Frog Hair, Orvis, and Varivas and all stop at 7X or .004. I use 8X mono now but at times the curley cues you get from mono can be a pain with very light tippets.

BTW, today the Trico sippers on my home stream refused the usual 7X so 8X can be a necessary evil.

Thanks in advance!

I usually go down to the 7x fluro and it works good. They only thing I don't like with the fluro and dry flies is the sinking factor. I think it would be light enough for the little stuff.

Seaguar makes 8X flourocarbon:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0011245

It's also readily available outside the US. I've ordered tackle from this guy:

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDeta ... 8006a31359

deathb4disco:

The Seaguar looks good at 1.9lbs if that's what it really is. Now I have another excuse to go to Cabela's.

Thanks!

Climax Fluorocarbon Tippet

30 meter spools Available Sizes

0x 0.011" 12.0 lbs.

1x 0.010" 10.0 lbs.

2x 0.009" 9.0 lbs.

3x 0.008" 7.0 lbs.

4x 0.007" 5.5 lbs.

5x 0.006" 4.5 lbs.

6x 0.005" 3.0 lbs.

7x 0.004" 2.0 lbs.

8x 0.003" 1.3 lbs.

If you can't find it at your local store, let me know. I'll see what is available around my area. I know a store that carries most, if not all, Climax items.

I am not trying to be arumentative but rather thought-provoking. I do not understand using 7X tippet much less 8X. There is no way you can land a reasonable fish without severely stressing it on such light tippet. Try using a longer tippet instead of a lighter tippet. If I can't catch'em on 5X or bigger, I go home...

Bam,

I use 8x by frog hair they sell it at cabelas.

wireguy

P.S. I caught an 8lb 24" stripper the other day on the 8x frog hair. Woo hoo

stevehaun:

Unfortunately my usual 12-16' leader with a 24-36" length of 5X just doesn't cut it in some of the heavily pressured waters I fish. If I followed your 5X rule, I'd have to just about give up trout fishing after March unless I only wanted to fish wet which will never happen . Besides, when I'm using 22-28 flies, 5X wouldn't cut it.

BUT 2lb test 7X tippet is very strong and 8X at close to that is too. I actually had a guy watching me catch a decent sized trout on 7x last week. He comment to me was, "man you really horsed that fish in on that light tippet".

I think a lot of anglers over-play fish on light tippets because they are scared of the light breaking strength, that's why I prefer Varivas or Rio Fluoroflex Plus in Fluoro. The stuff is EXTREMELY strong.

Just my point of view.

DianeID:

Thanks for the tip on Climax. I believe I can find it locally. If I can't I'll give you a shout. Unfortunately experimenting with fluorocarbon tippet material brands can get EXPENSIVE. I bought and pitched a spool of Umpqa because it failed so many times. A $12.00 trial!

wireguy:

I didn't know Frog Hair made 8X Fluorocarbon. I thought I searched their site completely, oh well. I guess a run to Hamburg is in order.

Sometimes attaching the fly with a loop knot may get you grabs without downsizing tippet, especially if refusals are due to micro drag.

A few months ago I was fishing a midge hatch with a lot of success while some other anglers were struggling to get grabs and insisted they needed 6x flouro to get bit. I was using 3x mono because I had forgot to pack lighter tippet. Fly was attached with a loop knot. This, of course, is an unusually extreme example, but illustrates the point.

"Unfortunately experimenting with fluorocarbon tippet material brands can get EXPENSIVE."

There in is the rub...

That's why a thread like this can be so helpful...

Seems to me Seaguar fluorocarbon tippet has always been rated the best in regard to lb. test to diameter....whether or not that is how it works in "real life" I don't know.[/quote]

+ Reply to Thread