+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lamb wool

Default lamb wool

Does anyone use lamb wool for tying. I am getting ready to butcher mine and if anyone wants any let me know. When we send him to the butcher we will shave some off

Default A few examples: Siliclone and SAS Minnow

Links below:

[url=http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/bob_popovics/saltwater_flies_bob_silicl.html:ae466]Siliclone[/url:ae466]

[url=http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM122002.htm:ae466]SAS Minnow[/url:ae466]

I used to tie a lot of these but not lately. Should work for fresh or salt. Wool can be used for sinking Muddler Minnows, Sculpins, and other flies also.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Hi harleybob,
    I have used lambs wool for tying woolhead sculpins and large nymphs.
    One day I was at the farm market when the farmers were bringing in the wool for weighing and shipping off to wherever and I asked if I could have a few of the loose clumps lying about the parking lot. I managed to pick up a generous handful of white, black and brown which I cleaned and added to my tying materials.

The wool has a natural oil in it which makes it somewhat water resistant for awhile and the coarseness of the fibers makes for a very buggy looking nymph. If any other board members want, they should give it a try. I was pleased with the results I got when using it for tying.

Wool also takes dye well. The only problem I've run into is that, being able to absorb water, some flies can get a little heavy.

Well the wife is going to wash wilson or wilbur or what ever that lambs name is and then we are going to cut some wool shave some wool or what ever it is called off and I will mail a patch to whom ever wants it. I have two requests now and will fill more. Just need to know with in 7 days. by a patch I mean what ever size of a bunch ya want with in reason LMAO

My mom raises sheep and uses the wool on her antique spinning wheel. She also dyes the wool using either natural or man-made dyes, including Kool-Aid. She literally has hundreds of colors of wool.

I use the wool on most all my flies and if you go sparingly they don't tend to sink as rapidly. The best way to wrap a body on a dry is to flatten the wool as you wrap, letting it spread out wide and thin (like floss). This method will keep the waterlooging to a minimum. Also, if you wrap it a bit tight it will help shed the water.

If you have to tie a thick body then you're better off using the thread to build up the bulk and then overwrap with the thinned wool, or use poly yarn as an underbody, then overwrap with the wool.

Wool is best for wets, streamers, and nymphs. One of my favorite bluegill patterns is a woolly worm using blue/gray wool body and a furnace or brown hackle palmered. Make the body any thickness you like, one variation includes a reverse-palmered, gold, wire or tinsel rib.

Try it! You'll feel great and the gills will love you for it. You may even spend the afternoon with a bass or two.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Sent you an e-mail.
    Steve

I owe everyone a apology for the lambs wool. due to everything happening in the lasdt week I have not sent it out will get it done no later then monday. Remember this was pickup off the ground when they cut the wool and it is dirty

+ Reply to Thread