+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to fly fishing and need to buy my own gear

1. Default New to fly fishing and need to buy my own gear

Hi all,
    I just spent the weekend in Vermont and went on my first ever fly fishing trip. We fished the White River and I caught and released a 20-inch smallmouth bass! Needless to say, I am "hooked" on the sport and am looking to get my own gear. I really don't want to spend a ton of money. Can someone recommend the best inexpensive set-up for me? I am a woman (have no clue if this matters), and I'll be fishing rivers and lakes in the new england area--probably fishing for bass and trout, predominantly.
    If you could suggest some good brands, as well as what type of gear a beginner needs, and possibly some websites that are good, I would be so appreciative.

Thanks for your help!

First thing is a good web site, oops you don't need that you are already here and this is the best. As far as a good starter outfit I started out with a scientific anglers complete set bought at walmart for about $70. The only thing I needed after that was flies and a couple of leaders. A 6 weight will do nicely for bass and trout in lakes and rivers. sounds like you have a good fishing partner so they can help with the flies as far as where to get them.

Hello and welcome bostonfishergal. You've already found the best website around so I don't have too many suggestions there. As far as gear goes... I would suggest looking at Temple Fork first. I honestly feel that (for the money) you can not do any better. I was in the market for a new rod a while back and was going to get my first "really good" rod. I was willing to throw some money at it, but car trouble intervened. I went with temple fork and still feel that I got the "really good" rod that I wanted but didn't pay a ton of money. There are plenty of reels out there and a large range of prices. I'm not too picky about reels and recently bought a teton tioga. Previously I had a reel from cabelas that probably on its own cost about thirty bucks. It worked for me for years. Cabelas also has some very reasonably priced start up outfits. I'm of the opinion that a "good" reel is a relative matter and don't think I would have noticed the difference between the two that i have as a beginner. The gear you need in general... I would say a pair of hemostats (could use needle nose pliers to begin with), clippers (could use nail clippers to begin with), some leaders, some tippet, and a fly box and flies. You could go for years on just that. I would suggest getting the flies from a local shop. Just go in and tell them where and when your planning on fishing.

If you still have some money left over, floatant is useful as well as a vest and net. These things are useful but not necessary (at least in my eyes). I was serious about the website too. If you look around you can find advice on pretty much anything here. If its not on the site already, someone on these boards will certainly have an answer for you. They are the best. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Got a "wally World" or similar type? Find a 'Scientific Anglers Combo.' That is everything; rod, reel, line, leader,stuff... all in one package. Should be about sixty bucks for the whole works. Just what you need to get started. Comes in a couple of sizes, buy either one. If you could make it to the Michigan 'Fish-In,' it would be a good idea.

A friend was given a Scientific Angler Ultra Outfit 5w 4 piece by his boss and gave it to me. I have been very happy with it. The friend who gave it to me fishes high end Orvis equipment and he says he was impressed with it for the money.

The drag on the concept 2 35 works nicely.
    The 4 piece works great for portablility
    having a case protects the investment

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... its/Ultra/

Because I liked it so much I bought an 8 weight Scientific Angler system outfit for steelhead, but I upgraded the reel shortly because I did not like the drag on the concept 2 58, the drag was not smooth enough for the bigger fish.

I am currently debating giving the SA 5 wt to my son and buying an Orvis outfit for myself, it is hard to justify spending the extra money when what I have has never failed me though.

Welcome & congrats on what would be MY biggest smallie....WOW!!
    You have received wonderful advice..I will add that, if you haven't yet done so yet, check out this months FAOL free drawing...just what the Dr ordered! I am proof that anyone of us can win, so please do register. I register monthly, even if the item is something I can't use, 'cuz I'll give it to another FAOL member if I win & can't use it.
    Please do try to get to the Michigan Fish-In. The more the merrier!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

bfg,

First, welcome to this site. Hope you enjoy.

While I do not disagree with some of the recommendations (except I hate Wally world) I think you would do yourself a service to find a local shop to buy from. You might pay a few dollars more, but you would gain a business that can give you free advice, which is very helpful. Shop around for a local shop that has fly fishing gear and nice, knowledgeable and helpful sales people. They can guide you on the issue of equipment, but you will also need flies, maybe a vest or waders, clippers and so on. None of this has to be too expensive but it will help to have someone who knows you and wants to keep you a happy customer.

I live in Western MA, and if you email me with your town/city I can see if I can get a recommendation as to a good shop to go to. Some time soon you should head out this way and see what is out here, the Deerfield, the Millers, the Swift and the Westfield rivers to name a few, not to mention the Ct. river for bass. All of that is within a 2 hour drive from Beantown.

jed

Great smallie...The Cabelas stowaway is a great starter package.

It's an awful powerful addiction so be careful! You can't get it all at once.

I have a Temple Fork 5 wt, love it but I won't buy another since it's made outside the USA

Echo Rods makes a great rod reasonably priced. Add a reel from Cabelas and your'e ready to go.

I'm in my 3rd year of flyfishing and am having a fly rod built for me. I started with a combo I bought from my neighbor for $ 100 and this will be my 4th rod. 3 reels, countless flies, 2 pair of waders, float tube ect. You get the idea.

Some lessons are a good idea, also read as much as you can, get fly fisherman or fly rod and reel magazine.

Also, feel free to solicit help on the board here, there are far better fly fishermen than me on it who have a wealth of knowledge.

Look to NY and the Adirondacks for some kick *** fly fishing! The Ausable River in Wilmington rocks!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

It is a disease according to my wife,but somebody is supposed to catch these fish that God made for us.I thought I had fished all my life ,then I tried flyfishing only to learn that I really didnt start fishing until I was 47 years old.Congratulations on your new infection.

Find a local (& friendly) fly shop. Ask them if you can try some rods (& set ups). be upfront & tell them you're new & not ready to purchase until you know a bit more. Try some soft/slow rods & some faster rods. Let them know what type of fishing you intend to do... or what you may enjoy doing in the future.
    As an alternative to that, find your local branch of Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF). Those folks will go out of their way to make sure you know & understand what you're about to get yourself into...
    I am a proponent of buying better quality used equipment. However, in the beginning & until you know when, where, how much time, how much you enjoy it, etc. etc. etc. you may want a cheaper outfit & then relearn as needed.
    Later,
    Peter
    welcome to the fold....
    (My daughter moves to Quincy this coming week)

+ Reply to Thread