+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly tying vise

Default Fly tying vise

Last January I had a small stroke and before that I had been trying to find a used fly vice. But the dang Hospitial bills got right in the way.
    Well any way I had taught my son how too cast his flyrod before the stroke and I found myself forgetting how to controll my rod after the stroke. My son knows how well I had cast before so the other day he started teaching me how. My son is the most understanding teacher I have ever met. The other day he set up a small basket and explained how to drop the line in the basket. At first I couldnt hit it at all.
    Then with his guidence I was finaly able too drop my line in the basket fifteen times out of fifteen times! Horay!!
    My son can work the whole reel out and lay it down as neatly and put it right where he wants it.
    He is the greatest son in the world. You can see how much I love him!
    CR

It is sometime said, that as we age, our roles reverse. You seem fortunate to have a fine son.

It's difficult to learn, or re-learn, things after a stroke. The pride in accomplishment you feel in that moment is only surpassed by the love and respect for the one teaching. You have much to be proud of!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Both of you

Thanks for telling us about your progress. I don't know who's more fortunate, you or your son! But I can tell you that even though your wonderful son worked with you to bring back that cast, 15 out of 15 didn't happen without some seriously excellent previous work on your part!

Enjoy the son, enjoy the cast.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

mu guess is that your son is getting a ton of pleasure from this experience and learning something as well. Wht a neat situation.

That's a very moving story! Thanks for sharing it.

Just an aside!
    I am the lucky one to be blessed with my loving son. My son has to be blessed with my family being Christians.
    God blesses the families that work/play together. He is homeschooled and people tell me all the time how wonderful his manners are.

Does anyone know of a reasonable priced tying vice? I have been copying recipees and I want to try tying my own flies.
    God bless all here
    CR

Very nice. You're both very lucky.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know of a reasonable priced tying vice? I have been copying recipees and I want to try tying my own flies
    What price are you thinking of, What I considder reasonable feeding 5 people on a salary of a state security officer is different (and a lot lower) than a lot of people on this board.

that said a new griffin in the $50 range is a great vice. If you look around you might find one used, I bought mine new but shop worn for $25 on sale.

Great story and I hope you find much joy in tying flys

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread