+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about a type of casting

Default Question about a type of casting

Has anyone ever tried casting for distance while being blindfolded? I'm trying to think of a casting event for a Fish-In that might be interesting and fun. Any experiences or opinions about this?

Thanks.

Allan

opposite hand casting?

I actually tried this today and it wasn't *that* tough. not that I'll make a habit of it or anything, but who knows, it could come in handy at some point...

mgj

Mikey, we actully do teach it in our classes, it's a super instructional tool - especially for folks who have been bait or spin casters!
    And yes, there are times (wind) or tricky brush or tree situations where it really comes in handy - or 2 people in a boat....
    a good thing to know

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Tyeflies,
    Try snap Casting, Make the fly jump back to a ring behind you.

Sitting on a bucket landing in a bucket.
    I have a bar set up that I can lower to about 6 in off the ground (like a high jump bar) you cast under it to a target.
    Want a really tough on? Three 3ft rings on stands about 10 ft high. Set one behind the other about 5 ft apart. Make your loop past through all three rings.
    Back up to a wall and make a roll cast. OK you can stand 5 ft or so from the wall.
    Set a target at 35 ft See who can get the most out of line with a aeral mend. Fly still has to land in the target.
    Distance casting with a tip section only. Seven piece rod makes it real tough.

Thoes of you that like casting games The FFF Conclave in Livingstone,MT this summer will have some great games I am told.
    ol Al

------------------
    Ol' Flysoup
    Flycasting is as easy as flysoup

Howdy JC
    Introduction of casting styles and different casts required to make a cast is all part of the leaning. Having seen a man cast 50 ft of line. I had to find out how he did that. "Mr. Kreh How did you get that line to fly out like that?" I asked "With a Double Haul" He replied. Now I will admit Lefty did not compete, and was not at the time. It is just that I was introduce by watching someone else.
    IF you have a casting contest you have compition. YOU also have INTRODUCTION to new and maybe better ways of getting things done. Last week in Denver the long distance casters were hampered by a short back cast area. (only 86 ft.) The Caster that notice and was able to over come the hazard. Mr Clay Roberts, Won. 115 ft. with a 5 wt outfit.
    So what I am trying to say is making some difficult makes for a learning thing no matter who is casting or just watching. I agree casting is more fun. We just have to find a way to convence others to give it a try.
    This year at FFF Conclave there will be coaches to help with the casting games.
    ol Al

------------------
    Ol' Flysoup
    Flycasting is as easy as flysoup

there's always casting the line WITHOUT the rod!!! as the late Cortland line guru would do to show timing was more important than x or y brand rod...
    bill

+ Reply to Thread