+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What system do you use to anchor your canoe or yak?

nighthawk Guest

Default What system do you use to anchor your canoe or yak?

I know that most say to anchor from the bow. I need some ideas on a system that will anchor from the bow but can be operated from the center or rear seat of my canoe. I thought about putting a pully on the bow but I don't want the anchor banging into the hull of my canoe. What should I do?

I'm installing a system like this [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=54:b6d77]anchor system[/url:b6d77] on my kayak. Basically it's a loop of rope from bow to stern, just above the water line.

You put the anchor through a carbiner and move the contact point to the bow or stern, then secure the anchor line on a cleat by where you sit.

nighthawk Guest

Hextall,
    That is a really neat system. Thank you.

Blog Entries

its probably not the best system but I only small pond fish from a canoe and dont have current to worry about just wind. I have a large metal Nut attatched to about 50' of rope, I drop the nut over the side and sit on the rope once it hits the bottom.

I have thought about extending the bow with a 2X3 about 18 inches long and putting a pully system in to run the rope back to the stern seat. My coleman is such that I could do this with wing nuts and only take a couple of minutes to put it on and take it off.

Keepin it simple

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I use my kayak mainly on small lakes and ponds. The anchor system I use is simply a 24 inch piece of heavy chain that I cut into two pieces; one 18 inches long and the other 6 inches long. I have the 6 in long piece tied to my floating nylon anchor rope and the 18 inch piece clipped to the 6 inch piece with a heavy duty carabiner. That way, if I only want to slow the drift rather than anchor my boat, I unclip the 18 inch chain and the 6 inch piece acts as a drag.

Jim Smith

For an anchor, I use a 3lb ladies barbell weight..works great and doesn't get hung up on submerged timber/weeds. Line stores easily on the barbell handle.

After years of trying other anchoring techniques, I finally installed an anchor trolley system. Trolleys work great and I wish I had done it sooner. Mine is not as complex, I use D-rings on the fore and aft carrying handles, line is looped to itself with a ring that you can either attach the anchor directly to, or attach the anchor to the yak and run the anchor line through the ring. No pulleys, cleats, or extra drilling.

Here are some other ideas:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...pic.php?t=1040
    http://paddle-fishing.com/fos/rigging/anchortrolley.htm

Good Luck!

Default Canoe Anchor

I made a bracket that holds an anchor lift n lock off the stern, and use a drag chain for stream fishing. It works great to control your speed while float fishing downstream (slower, put out more rope, faster, pull some up). Cheers.

nighthawk Guest

Thanks for the great ideas. The trolley system will allow me to sit virtually anywhere in the boat. That could be very useful.

I use a trolly system to move a carabiner to the front or back for my anchor. I then have a spring loaded Cam Cleat to slip in the anchor line. It works great if I need a quick release.

jed

nighthawk Guest

Jed,
    That is a wise choice for safety. I like it. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread