Thank you all for the interesting replies, it seems there's no one way that everyone does, but to find one that fits with your style of fishing.

Here in Brunei, there is no fly fishing to speak of. I've found a couple of very small lakes, but there doesn't appear to be much fish in them. Most local people here sea fish off the sea wall at the harbour, but my gear is for fresh water.

We plan to mainly fish on holidays where possible, and to do more next time we move (2 years time, probably to Norway). There's no-one here we can get lessons from, hence asking lots of questions on the board.

I'm going to be in New Jersey/New Hampshire this summer for a couple of weeks and hope to take the gear and get a day of fishing in, preferably with a coach/guide for a morning.

Next March we will be going to New Zealand, where I'm taking part in a big race, and we'll have 2 weeks of holidays after, during which we hope to have a few days getting to grips with fly fishing there.

For now, I think I'll keep the small selection of flys seperated by dry/nymph/lure until such time as we're fishing more regularly and have need of a better system.

Cheers,

Justin.