+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cane rod rebuild questions

Default Cane rod rebuild questions

I am in the process of replacing the ferrules on a Montague - Sunbeam cane rod. I have removed the ferrules which were pinned. My question is --- How do I know what size ferrules to order? the end of the cane is one diameter for about 1 inch then it steps up 2/64ths for about .45" before it gets to the "flats: which measure about 1/64 larger still.

Can anyone help me with some answers? I think that this will be a sweet little rod. I bought it at a storeall auction. It has not been fished as nearly as I can tell since there is a paper label on the handle which says " Sunbeam 7 1/2 foot 2 pc fly 1SU2F the original price was $12.95. Probably from sometime in the 50's. Why am I replacing the ferrules? They were cracked, butt and both tips - even the winding check is cracked. Is this common on th Sunbeam 7 1/2'.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks Dick
    xfishcop

xfishcop -
    I know what you are going through with the Monty...it can be a task for sure to get the correct size of the ferrules for replacement and it is decision time...

but first, the bamboo is cut like that so that the bamboo can fill all of the cavity of the ferrule. What you should have is a section that is about 1" long that is significantly smaller and that goes into the slide portion of the male, and into the barrel of the female on the butt section. The Montague ferrules were most all brass then plated with either chrome or nickel silver, depending on when the rod was made, and cracking of the ferrules is really quite common on the Montague.

Now the decision. Do you want to replace them with original Montague ferrules or go with something else. There are still some of the original Montague ferrules around, and they are not that hard to find. Look up Ricks Rods and contact him.
    http://www.ricksrods.com/components.html

On his posting above, there is a link that you can click that will help you with getting the right ferrules. I would recommend choosing option one, sending him the old ferrules, that NEVER fails.

You will like that rod when you get it all ferruled and ready to fish, a sweet little rod in that length. If you havent ferruled a rod before, be sure that you get the ferrules on there straight and check the fit, section to section prior to gluing or you could get a direction change at the ferrule joint when you glue them together. it may requre you turning the ferrule on the section a few times to get a straight assembly, just mark it well and make sure that you use a really good glue that will not break down on you. I always put ferrules on in my lathe as that keeps them perfectly straight..

Good luck with it and let us know how it comes out. There are LOTS of great folks on here that can offer any type of advice or assistance that you may need, don't hesitate to ask...

Leo

Leo
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll try Rick's Rods. It looks like a great source for what I need.
    Dick xfishcop

+ Reply to Thread