+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish-Maker

Default Fish-Maker

I'm new to the forum, but not to the site and I hate to start with questions, so there it is: intro. I do alot of warm water during the growing season and as of this year have become much more interested in catching LMB. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with or can direct me to finding instructions for tying a striper fly by name of 'Fish-maker', originally introduced by a Cape Cod angler named David Townsend. It is a baitfish pattern that I have attempted to tie, but keep coming up 'wrong'.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

I do not know about the fly you are looking for but I would like to welcome you to the best Fly Fishing site on the internet. FAOL Stick around someone will find an answer for you. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Hi ROR.....Welcome aboard! What are you having a problem with? We can probably help. I am familiar with the pattern. It was in the last Fly Tyer magazine as well with a recipe but no instructions.....Jason

Thanks for the welcome guys. Dig response on recent Flytyer. Thats where I first encountered this fly as well. Just not sure for head. Tried palmered rabbit strip, but seemed crowded. Tried dubbing loop sans hide, but too sparse to attatch eyes. Substituted head with frizz fibre/polar flash blend. Not sure how to post pics, but would like to show this. Any tips?

Are your rabbit strips too wide? ..it's my experience most on the market are [for what I want]...may be getting better but that's why I cut my own...

Good point Duckster. Got the thinnest available to me without cutting my own. May invest in a hide.

7. Default Fish Maker

How come your not writing your newsletter article ROREYE[/url]

ROR-EYE...so far I've found Metz puts out some that are thinner...

Hi ROR.......I tied one of these babies last night and after a few tries, came up with one that looks pretty dam good! After tying in the tail (ostrich and Angel Hair) I attached 2 marabou plumes by the tips and wrapped them from the tail to about the 2/3rd point of the shank. I used 2 plumes so the stems wouldnt be so thick at the tie off point. From there I wrapped "crosscut" rabbit strip (mine are about 3/16" wide) to the front leaving plenty of room at the eye to tie it off and wrap a head. I didnt put eyes on yet but the rabbit hide makes a good base for them.
    I can't imagine any substitutes for these materials having the same "movement" in the water. This thing is really looks alive! Good luck...Jason

+ Reply to Thread