+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SIK or SOT?

Default SIK or SOT?

I'm curious to hear what folks who fly fish have to say about SIK vs. SOT kayaks for me.
    I'm in Texas ,so there is a lot of really hot weather. Most of the lakes here are rather large with quite a bit of boat traffic. The SOT's seem as if they would be easier to get in /on and exit from than the SIT's, but in cooler weather kinda chilly hanging completely out in the wind.
    My reasoning for wanting to try a kayak runs something like this:
    1. My Coleman Crawdad(11'8" kevlar) is too heavy tote around.
    2. My wife doesn't like to/isn't available for taking me and the Crawdad to a fishing hole and helping me launch..EVERY TIME I want to go fishing. That alone limits my trips to places very close to home.
    3. Crawdad doesn't paddle well with one person. Trolling motor and battery heavy..more junk to carry.
    4. Always wanted to try a kayak.
    5. I often want to fish in shallow back bays and places where a larger boat can't go.
    6. Oh yeah,I'm an above knee amputee,61 with health problems,so I'm looking at a kayak as a means to reach places I am not mobile enough to reach any more. I'm hoping I'll be able to wear my prosthesis to get a lighter yak to the water then remove my prosthesis,stick it in a waterproof/plastic? bag and wrap the bag with pool noodles or somesuch to keep it afloat if I'm dumped.

So I may be loony for wanting a kayak,but which type do y'all recommend

Yep,I've got as many questions about kayaking as I do about fly tying.

rogerole, I think SOT kayaks are a lot easier to get in & out of. I have a OK Prowler 13 and love it.

Norm

I have both, a sit inside and a sit on top.

I like them both and my sit inside has a large cockpit. The advantages of a sit inside are: it is a much drier ride, you have more easily accessible storage (inside the bow at your feet), and you are somewhat protected from the elements. As Norm said, the only true advantage of a sit on top is that it is easier to get in and out of (especially if you find yourself in deep water and are trying to get back in your boat - SOT's are great for snorkeling). Some say sit on tops are cooler in the summer, I haven?t found this to be the case.

IMHO, I think you are going to want to leave your prosthesis on when you are paddling regardless of which type you end up with. As you know from canoeing, when you paddle the boat tends to turn opposite of your stroke (the boat?s natural ability to counter this is how well it ?tracks?, or its ability to stay in a straight line). In a kayak, your foot braces secure you in the boat enough that you can counter the bow swings (it is actually a foot/hip/thigh thing, I really can?t effectively describe it) caused by paddling. Boats with rudders track extremely well and the bow swings can be compensated for with feet motion, which you should be able to do with your prosthesis.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Default a friend of mine

Hi. A friend of mine lost a leg and does not use a prosthesis. She's a fly fisher and is very happy with her Pungo kayak. Hers is the short original one. She says it's not too hard to get in or out of and she prefers the sit inside style for being able to provide more storage as well as protection (under a skirt) in colder weather. She's good at slinging the Pungo around on and off her truck rack and dragging it to the water from her wheelchair. She uses it on rivers, lakes, and some pretty tight shallow spots. Wilderness Systems makes Pungos in many sizes. I owned the 14 footer for a while and I think it sounds too heavy for your needs. The Phase 3 seat is incredibly comfortable. Good luck with your choice!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I own a Heritage Redfish (Sit on Top), and my wife has a Wilderness Systems Tsunami (Sit in). Both are 14' (Tsumami = 14.5', I think).

I've fished out of both, and greatly prefer the Sit on Top.

Here's my views on pros and cons for a Sit on Top:

Pros:

- More room to put stuff that is within easy reach
    - Easier to hop in and out
    - Easier to manage fly line than sit in boat
    - Much more stable (Redfish specific).
    - Sit a little bit higher up, so sight fishing is a little easier.
    - I find it easier to put usable rod mounts etc on teh sit on top.. but that's personal preference.

Cons:

- The Redfish is appreciably heavier and harder to manuever on land than the Tsunami. This is due to a heavier grade plastic. I was a bit surprised when I bought the redfish.
    - Legs get wetter in the sit-on-top. I use Kayaker pants when colder... they are water proof, and have gaskets on the ankles and waist... but in warmer temps they are wicked hot. I use quick dry pants in the summer.
    - I feel that the Redfish is more suseptible to the wind than the Tsunami... but I counter this by using an anchor (I'll probably get a windsock at some point).

Hi Rodger,

I'd say that you should be able to pull it off OK. You may find
    that you need to adjust/affix a rest to brace your short leg on for
    comfort and balance, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. I
    think in the long run you'll really enjoy it. In kayaking, your major
    concern for legs is just storage until you return to land. I don't see
    the loss of the leg as particularly challenging in kayaking.

Rodger, I know there are kayak dealers in Texas. Go spend some
    time with one. I'm sure they will let you try them on for size and most
    probably let you paddle a few. They should be able to assess your
    situation and give you some good advice. Kind of like buying a flyrod.
    It's great to be able to wiggle it first. Warm regards, Jim

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

By all means ... if you can, test paddle as many as possible.

One size does not fit all.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I opted for the Pungo 140 (SIK) for myself, partly due to the light weight (42#) and ability to get out of the weather in the winter. but I will be getting a Tarpon 140 (SOT, 63#) for my wife (self ) for the ability to get on and off quickly, which will be nice in the surf and swells. Both can be customized infinatly to fit your needs, though the SOT's have more deck storage for conventional tackle and dead fish (if you are in the ocean again). The SIK's require more forethought in exact placement of rigging, but have great speed and lots of room between the knees, just get a bilge sponge to keep the floor dry. speaking of which, many SOT paddlers I know wear waterproof paddling shorts so they dont spend the day sitting in water, which isnt such a concern in the SIK...
    Either way, you'll be surprised at the ammount of water you can access and cover in a yak.
    annother thought; dont skimp on the paddle, you'll be using it ALL day, and if it doesnt feel right or breaks, you're in deep doo fast. Personally, I like a long touring style with an oversize blade and as light as possible. I can really cover the water that way without wearing out.
    2c
    Jim

I too like the Pungo SIK. My wife's is a featherlite, weighting about 43# and is easy on and off. The Phase 3 seat is great. Mine is older and weights mroe with a lousy seat. One thing that is important to consider is your transportation. I have a yakama roof rack and added a steel bar inside the bar of the rear cross piece. I pull it out and use it to rest one end of the kayak on while I let the other end down. It makes it easy for on and off, never lifting more than 1/2 the kayak weight. Yakama sells a loader similar to my design for about $80, but I liked the $9 option better

jed

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default SOT or SIK

I just recently bought a Wilderness Systems Victory Bravo SIK kayak. It is 9' long and only weighs 45 lbs (I think I've eaten things that weigh more than that!). I'm learning how to paddle, but so far, I've discovered that these things are FAST and smooth compared to almost anything else I fished out of. It's nothing to cover several miles in one of these. I've even started just exploring (without fishing...there's a change!) with it and I may do some whitewater later after I've learned the strokes and such (I live near the Ocoee River...whitewater heaven....). I've had no trouble fishing out of it what-so-ever, and it's way superior to my old Belly-Boat.

I am 47 years old, 5' 7" at 225 lbs. I have a steel rod in my leg where my thighbone used to be, and a re-constructed hip-joint. I haven't had any problems using the Yak, although I've made a few adjustments to getting in and out techniques. I put my Yak about half-way in the water at a 45 degree angle to the shore, then sit down on the ground next to it. Then, I use my paddle to lever myself in the cockpit by placing it behind my back, straddling the hull just behind the cockpit with 1/3 of the length, and the rest on the shore for support. I just lift myself up with my arms, using the paddle as a crossbar, and swing my feet and butt into the cockpit. Then, all I have to do is a quick forward Hip-Snap, or maybe 2, and I'm floating and on my way. Getting out is just the opposite....EASY! I'm sure you could do it.

I like my SIK, but I think I may get a SOT later just to explore in. I think I'd also like to buy a Touring Yak next year...the wife permitting.

Good Luck

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread