+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sunlight N K K Bamboo Fly Rod

Default Sunlight N K K Bamboo Fly Rod

I just purchased a Sunlight N K K Bamboo Fly Rod from an elderly gentleman. I know nothing about the rod at all. This is the first cane rod I ever owned. I paid $50 for it. It is in pretty good shape except one furl is bad. Did I get taken??? Also, how do I fix the furl?? I was thinking about just taking the rod to a real rod builder and having it sort of "renewed" a bit. What do you guys think?? Lastly how do I figure out the weight??

AC01

acorbin01
    Well I am not familiar with that brand, pictures would help some with the identification and what needs to be done. As far as fixing the problem, it would depend on what needs to be done.

You could probably do the work yourself as there are lots of enthusiasts on here that will gladly offer some good coaching, and the archives of this board are full of articles and step by step guides on rod building. someone that does this all the time could possibly make it into a really nice fishing rod, depending on what they have to start with.

Are all the sections the same length?
    Is the bamboo solid and no delaminations?
    What condition is the hardware in?
    Are the wraps still tight and solid?
    can you post pictures of the rod for all to see and offer advice on?

There are tons of people on here that can help with a little more to work with. People from hobbyists like myself, to real pros that do this for a living and have for some time.

Now, did you get taken?....I guess that depends on how you feel about your purchase. The only thing that really matters here is if you bought it to fish with or to speculate on. just based on the name that you have posted, I am guessing that it is a Japanese made rod, or possibly a trade rod, and many of them are good fishing rods. The real value lies in what the rod means to the owner. as far as lne weight, I would start off with a 6wt WF and go up or down from there.

I am in travel status right now, but I will post some pics when I get back home. Thanks so much for the reply!!!!!!!!!!

AC01

+ Reply to Thread