+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to canoe flyfishing

I only suggest that you keep a cleared area in front and behind you for your line. I sometimes want my line behind me if I'm casting perpendicular on the port side or behind me. Nothing else should change in your casting style. Y ou might loose some distance, but you can make that up by canoe/kayak placement.

jed

flywag,
    First, welcome to the best ff site on the net. Secondly, you own my DREAM canoe! The Wenonah Fisherman in kevlar just MAY be the best fishing canoe made, especially when you consider weight, width, stability, etc. I WILL own one someday, but for now I will simply envy you!
    As JC says, keep the backcast up, & take advantage of the stealthy approach your canoe provides. There is something very special about flyfishing from a canoe!
    Please post a report soon.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Keeping line in the water

I was interested in reading about the towel in the lap trick. About 90% of the time I use floating lines and always leave the line in the water - just like I was wading. The line is outside of the boat and does not get tangled with anything. I suppose that it might get in the way with a particularly energetic fish, but I have used the method for 25 years and have had no problem on still water. I do a little fishing out of a kayak for stripers with a sinking line and as a rule do not enjoy it. The sinking line is nearly impossible to use the same method. Maybe the towel trick will make my stiper time more enjoyable if not more productive.

David

+ Reply to Thread