+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ZonkTuka Image Test

Default ZonkTuka Image Test

..........................ZonkTuka........................................

Dang this new software is making this post easy!

Thanks JC & LF

Very nice looking fly that I'm sure will catch fish. Is that boa or one of the the other eyelash yarns being used as the tail, then colored with markers? Let us know how it looks in the water.

Jim Smith

Hi Jim,

Thanks. That tail is made using a tying product called "Crystal Tri-Lobal" hackle by Orvis and Cascade Crest Tools. It is available in several colors and two widths (3/4" and 1 1/4").

Here is a fly made using the purple "Crystal Tri-Lobal: material. The tips have been colored, as you have guessed, with marking pens.

Recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman

Recipe?
    Cross-cut rabbit strips, a new synthetic hackle called "Crystal Tri-Lobal ", and the use of a curved Daiichi 1260 2X-Long Bead Head Nymph Hook- Sizes 6 & 8.

Start thread and then wrap bare hook shank to bend or a bit down the bend with 3/16" wide holographic tinsel.

Prepare Tail: I stabilized the Crystal Tri-Lobal, which is a knitted construction, using super glue (CA) sparingly on the core of the knitted hackle. This hackle's fibers are situated in a wishbone pattern and look like a tail. I bind it in with a large ball of orange thread which shows through the soft fur.

Note: The tail is actually attached midway down the hook shank which allows it to articulate over the curving hook. The hook point is poised to be effective and the body blends in well-I think.

Attach the tail and then start the fur strip just ahead of the orange thread build-up & palmer the Cross cut fur-on-hide forward. I like to build-up a thread base, soak it with super glue and then wrap the rabbit strip forward. The glue really grabs the hide well. Finish head with Sall Hansons.

Very cool Fly

Thanks, flymaker2...they have an appeal to them....and I'll bet to the fish...

+ Reply to Thread