+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boa yarn (eyelash yarn) material and fly swap

Default Boa yarn (eyelash yarn) material and fly swap

Well, I've been turned on to a new material that I wasn't aware of, so it is time for a swap to see what everyone is doing with it. GQualls sent me a couple samples of this yarn, and it is really cool stuff. (For those of you who aren't familiar with this yarn, the warm water forum has a thread on boa yarn going: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/002134.html:70e1d]FAOL thread[/url:70e1d] ) It goes by a lot of different names, but the thread I just referenced has pictures of it. You are free to use any of the similar materials (funfur, eyelash yarn, boa yarn, bernat disco, etc). Just check the pictures on the thread I linked and use something similar.

I like the format the original punch yarn swap took, so I'm going to copy it to some extent. Everyone will include a 3 yard sample of their eyelash yarn and a fly tied with that yarn for each swapper.

I'm going to limit this one to 10 swappers including myself and signup is open until 05/15. All yarn samples and flies are due TO ME by 06/05.

Be sure to include your crushproof container, return packaging with your address on it, and return postage in the form of stamps or cash (no metered postage). Be sure to toetag your flies with your user name and pattern name at a minimum.

1. ol'blue - green bernat disco yarn, crawfish
    2. gqualls - olive bernat disco, leech/bugger - RECEIVED
    3. white43 - yarn tbd, crawfish - RECEIVED
    4. bjanzen - yrn tbd, popper - RECEIVED
    5. micropteris - yarn tbd, pattern tbd - RECEIVED
    6. RickZ - black yarn, black leech - RECEIVED
    7. Danny Gober - olive fun fur, cone head combo - RECEIVED
    8. DavidinMD - dark mink boa yarn, leech - RECEIVED
    9. Jack Hise - yarn tbd, salmon/steelhead fly - RECEIVED
    10. ExtremelyLowBudgetFF - yarn tbd, fly tbd - RECEIVED

SWAP IS FULL!

Photos are posted:
    [url=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ghileman@sbcglobal.net/slideshow?.dir=/46b6re2&.src=ph:70e1d]EYELASH SWAP[/url:70e1d]

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 06 June 2006).]

Ol' Blue,

I'll play along; I love this material. By the way, the black stuff I sent you was called Fun Fur and the olive materials was called Bernat Disco.

I'll tie a leech/bugger pattern out of the olive Bernat Disco if that's OK.
    Thanks,
    Greg

[This message has been edited by gqualls (edited 03 May 2006).]

Can't believe I'm doing this, and I dont' know where to get this stuff. However, I have a crawdad pattern in the Holschlag smallie book I've been meaning to try, so this would be a variation of that -- the yarn in place of maribou. I hope the crop it works. JGW

You are both in. BTW, I've been told that Walmart carries them, found that it has its own category in ebay, and found them all over online. LOTS easier to get than the punch yarn.

Actually the punch yarn wasn't that bad once I realized what it was. When I asked in a specialty store the first woman had no clue but a second one did and led me right to the rack. When I got home and started diffing through my stuff I realized I had previously purchased three other colors of it and didn't know it. Hey, my hair is gray not blond, but sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference. JGW

I would like to get in on this one. I have a popper I have been having fun fishing with. Can I use this yarn for the tail? If so I will tie some of these for it.

Barry

white43,

Wow! You found some locally?!? I looked all over town, and got nothing but those blank stares reserved for the village idiot. That will teach me to ask questions in craft stores. I think I now know how women feel when they go to a sporting goods store or try to buy a car.

bjanzen -

You are in. You can use any additional materials that you like, as long as you use the yarn in your pattern. Welcome aboard everyone!

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 01 May 2006).]

Hey guys I would like to play. I have no idea what I am going to tye yet though.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

You are in. Halfway there. I'll send out my address when the swap fills or the signup deadline hits. Let me know if you need it sooner.
    I also modified the amount of material for each person down to 3 yards since it comes in much smaller quantities than the punch yarn does.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 02 May 2006).]

On finding this......I have a wife that collects "fibers" for using in her scrapbooking endeavors and we realized last night that we both have some of this in both Boa and Eyelash yarn. I have three colors of Eyelash in my tying bins right now and didn't know what is was called.

I found my Eyelash yarn in the knitting aisle at the local Hobby Lobby. It was packaged in full knitting balls. It looks like string with two inch threads coming out at right angles to the main line. Hope this helps someone

Happy tying,

Barry

+ Reply to Thread