Hi All,

JC - I hope that it's ok that I put this here instead of in the Fly Swap Forum. I thought
more might read it here, but if you need to move it - hey...you're the boss!

A while back I hosted a fly swap and all of the participants (except for me) were American.
The swap went smoothly, with one minor hitch: it cost me $4.50 CDN to return the flies. I
was a little annoyed with Canada Post at the time, because my American friends were able
to send me the flies for less than $1.50.

The swap participants were most gracious, and some sent extra flies and other "goodies"
after the fact to thank me for covering the expensive postage. This was not necessary,
but it was appreciated.

I recently found out something important to fly swappers. The swap participants sent me
their flies in Altoids containers (or something similar). Unfortunately, the slot through which
Canada Post slides their packages to determine postage was too narrow to accomodate
these tins. Thus, I was charged more.

Recently, I used a narrow fly box to send my flies into a swap in Michigan, and the narrow
package fit through Canada Posts' slot - as a result, the package cost $1.90 CDN (not
$4.50 CDN) to send.

The moral of the story? When possible, use a slim profile box when mailing to Canada (if
the flies in the swap permit it). That way, the host will easily be able to cover the cost of
postage.

Cheers,
Andre