+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do fish feel pain?

Default Do fish feel pain?

Do fish feel pain?

Read the answer here:
    [url=http://www.allkayakfishing.com/articles/pain.html:a679b]http://www.allkayakfishing.com/articles/pain.html[/url:a679b]

Migs

according to FLyfisherman Mag. a while ago, there is no Neo-Cortex in a fish's brain to carry nerve signals to. It's an interesting debate, but i don't really care. I'll keep fishing! I suppose this makes sense, and i'll read the below article to find out more.

Still Fishing regardless,

RL

[This message has been edited by RL (edited 20 April 2005).]

The way I see it in my unprofesional opinion, what other sport can search out an animal and catch then release, besides for fishing? You cant when you hunt deer/birds and such. So either way if thats all they experience is a bit of pain for a short while, its better then a garanteed kill with every catch.

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 20 April 2005).]

"Although it is concluded from the foregoing analysis that the experiences of pain and emotional distress are not within the capacity of fishes, this conclusion in no way devalues fishes or diminishes our responsibility for respectful and responsible stewardship of them," Rose said.

Does that mean we can eat them?

Blog Entries

rocketman

Absolutely!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:b6a02]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:b6a02]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Fly fishing is a blood sport. To the question, "Do fish feel pain?", my answer is, Does it matter?

Allan

I disagree with your comments tieflies, my idea of a bloodsport is either a sport where a kill is the end result, or results in a kill of a non edible species. Neither of these apply to fishing of any sort, and especially not to fly fishing.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

Garic,

I'm not sure I understand your definition. You mean to say that fly fishing does not result in a kill? Even the most conservative of fly anglers accepts that, although not intended, in C & R areas there are some fish that do not make it after being released.
    Bloodsports do not have to have a desired outcome of a kill. Among these, boxing comes to mind.

Allan

Don't worry fellas, once they're dressed and in the freezer they don't feel a thing.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I accept what you say tieflies, and agree with the possibility of an accidental kill of some fish, my point was that it is not the only outcome available. As for boxing, I do not put that in the same category at all as both parties are willing participants.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

+ Reply to Thread